Pool Cooling Strategies with Tracking - Fountain, Evening, etc.

Dirk

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Nov 12, 2017
Central California
Hmm, didn't follow some of that, but that's OK, I'm slow! It seems to me a shade sail would cut down on your "start up, shutdown" chores. No umbrellas. No sun block (which is better for your pool). Maybe even less covers if that stuff was left under the shade of a sail. No? 'cause I'm with ya, and why I never got a pool cover. I want to just jump in and then get out and walk away. Here's a look that I really like that might cut down on the once-a-year shade sail chore (I put mine up in spring, down in fall, not everyday!). Not one big one, but a bunch of smaller ones (much easier to handle, I put mine up by myself):

ready1.jpg

I think that looks amazing.

Here's a whole gallery of ideas. This particular company makes a very good product (it's what I own).

And I had to put up a couple poles myself. One is completely hidden in a tree. The other I plan on disguising eventually with some sort of vine, but for now I don't even notice it any more. I can show you how I did it if you're interested. And I would argue that shade sails are way more attractive and much less view-inhibiting than umbrellas.

Anyway, just brainstormin' with ya...

DB-Cooper

Jun 18, 2019
Austin, TX
Hmm, didn't follow some of that, but that's OK, I'm slow! It seems to me a shade sail would cut down on your "start up, shutdown" chores. No umbrellas. No sun block (which is better for your pool). Maybe even less covers if that stuff was left under the shade of a sail. No? 'cause I'm with ya, and why I never got a pool cover. I want to just jump in and then get out and walk away. Here's a look that I really like that might cut down on the once-a-year shade sail chore. Not one big one, but a bunch of smaller ones (much easier to handle, I put mine up by myself):

View attachment 156258

I think that looks amazing.

Here's a whole gallery of ideas. This particular company makes a very good product (it's what I own).

And I had to put up a couple poles myself. One is completely hidden in a tree. The other I plan on disguising eventually with some sort of vine, but for now I don't even notice it any more. I can show you how I did it if you're interested. And I would argue that shade sails are way more attractive and much less view-inhibiting than umbrellas.

Anyway, just brainstormin' with ya...
Yes that does look great. Those are somewhat permanent, what I was complaining about was more of something that you put up and down. I'm not sure I'd want it to be that permanent given impact to view, etc. Also, you can see even in your picture the large poles surrounding environment. I have some challenges to do that and it would have severe impact to our view so probably can't pull it off.

Dirk

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Nov 12, 2017
Central California
Gotcha. Here's the only pole that's visible in my yard. Doesn't inhibit anything. PS. I never cover any furniture. It's all Sunbrella fabric and holds up really well in the sun.

bird_wire_2.jpg

jark87

Jun 5, 2011
Flower Mound, TX
Really interesting thread. I’m in the Dallas area and our high/low temp ranges are not as wide. There’s usually less than a 20 degree swing from high to low. I’m guessing that the air is a bit more dry for you.

I’ve been through everything you are attempting and even tried sail shades, but never had them permanently anchored. I anchored them to surrounding trees, which left me constantly worried about high winds snapping a tree into my pool. Every time a thunderstorm would pop up, I was running out to take the sails down - total PITA. The sails also interfered with our diving board and my wife hated them. 😕 I probably could have hidden posts in the trees and professional installation would have improved the look, but I suspect total cost would have rivaled Glacier chiller, which is what I ultimately went with.

Water temp has not exceeded 82 this summer. Was a refreshingly chilly 77 this morning!

DB-Cooper

Jun 18, 2019
Austin, TX
Gotcha. Here's the only pole that's visible in my yard. Doesn't inhibit anything. PS. I never cover any furniture. It's all Sunbrella fabric and holds up really well in the sun.

View attachment 156266
Gorgeous pool! I also have Sunbrella stuff, but I do think our weather is a bit more fierce here.

Your pole isn't bad at all, with my elevation, the pole would standout like a sore thumb where as yours is hardly noticeable. Do you have a picture from further away, how much of the pool is covered by that?

DB-Cooper

Jun 18, 2019
Austin, TX
Really interesting thread. I’m in the Dallas area and our high/low temp ranges are not as wide. There’s usually less than a 20 degree swing from high to low. I’m guessing that the air is a bit more dry for you.

I’ve been through everything you are attempting and even tried sail shades, but never had them permanently anchored. I anchored them to surrounding trees, which left me constantly worried about high winds snapping a tree into my pool. Every time a thunderstorm would pop up, I was running out to take the sails down - total PITA. The sails also interfered with our diving board and my wife hated them. 😕 I probably could have hidden posts in the trees and professional installation would have improved the look, but I suspect total cost would have rivaled Glacier chiller, which is what I ultimately went with.

Water temp has not exceeded 82 this summer. Was a refreshingly chilly 77 this morning!
82 is chilly for us.

The interest in the sails for me would be more the shade than the cooling because as stated, we are pretty happy with the water temps right now.

Dirk

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Nov 12, 2017
Central California
Not to belabor (but I will!)... There are shade sails and there are "pretend" shade sails, which are just glorified tarps. That latter are usually cheap, don't last all that long and are hung with rope. They flop around even in a light breeze, collect water when it rains and are not particularly wind proof. A true sail is attached to hard anchors (not trees) with steel cable and tensioned up pretty tight. That's what makes them wind-safe. Generally they are made of much higher quality fabric (to handle the tension) and last much longer. They'll have D-rings, not grommets. I'll likely get 15-20 years out of mine. Five years in and I see no sign of wear and tear at all. You don't hang them daily, they go up permanently (or, like me, up and down just once a year). They're not cheap, but you get what'cha pay for...

jark87

Jun 5, 2011
Flower Mound, TX
The interest in the sails for me would be more the shade than the cooling because as stated, we are pretty happy with the water temps right now.
Yep - I get it and good for you in finding a cooling solution! Our trees give us plenty of shade in all seating/congregation areas, but pool still gets full sun most of the day. One other note: we have quite a bit of landscaping around our pool. Mist blowing back from the PVC fountains was slowly killing it and did some damage to a nearby red oak tree. I can’t see any plants in your pics, but wanted you to be aware of what we experienced.

jark87

Jun 5, 2011
Flower Mound, TX
Not to belabor (but I will!)... There are shade sails and there are "pretend" shade sails, which are just glorified tarps. That latter are usually cheap, don't last all that long and are hung with rope. They flop around even in a light breeze, collect water when it rains and are not particularly wind proof. A true sail is attached to hard anchors (not trees) with steel cable and tensioned up pretty tight. That's what makes them wind-safe. Generally they are made of much higher quality fabric (to handle the tension) and last much longer. They'll have D-rings, not grommets. I'll likely get 15-20 years out of mine. Five years in and I see no sign of wear and tear at all. You don't hang them daily, they go up permanently (or, like me, up and down just once a year). They're not cheap, but you get what'cha pay for...
Totally get it. I was trying a makeshift route before making the investment in the real thing.

Dirk

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Nov 12, 2017
Central California
Thank you, here's the google view. My objective was not temperature relief, just enough shade to keep the sun off me bald head. I have lots of trees and lots of patio shade, so I don't need to cover my furniture and I never use sunscreen. Panels on the roof make up for sun loss from trees. I have no prep to go swimming, I jump in for 10 minutes at a time then out and back under the patios (when the sun is fierce). When I'm in the water I'm mostly under my little triangle of shade. And don't underestimate my climate, supposed to be 106° later today!!

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 11.54.29 AM.png

This shot appears to be off season. This time of year the shade is pretty much directly under the sail and patio covers.

Dirk

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Nov 12, 2017
Central California
Nice setup ya got! Ledge looks like a nice place to relax with a cool drink. Besides, pools are for swimming, decks are for tanning, I always say...

DB-Cooper

Jun 18, 2019
Austin, TX
What is the going rate for this high-end system?

Dirk

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Nov 12, 2017
Central California
Hmm, been a while. Might have been six bills by the time you factor in the SS cable and fittings and posts and footings, etc (I bought the very best I could find). Seems like the sail was in the $400 range. But it's all size and shape dependent, of course. That website will give you a quote, and some fabric samples. They have some of their prices online. Much cheaper galvie hardware would have been fine, I'm sure, but I tend to overkill everything. I only take it down once a year to hopefully double its lifespan, defer some of that cost over more years sort-o-thing.

mguzzy

Gold Supporter
Jul 8, 2015
OV, CA
@Dirk that is cool! nice setup.. If you are looking to manage the temp on the pool I really think cutting sun exposure will make a huge difference. My neighbors pool is in the sun all the time (no trees), is 200 feet away, if that, and its routinely 20 degrees warmer than mine. Mine is has darker plaster than theirs so that is supposed to make it warmer, but mine is in the shade most of the time from all the surrounding trees. So the air temp is the same.. the only difference is the amount of Shade.. BTW. we just had four straight days of 100 degree weather and my pool was 70 degrees this morning.