Pool Company opened pool Questions abut what they added

rackydoo

Apr 4, 2024
staten island ny
Hi

Total newbie who inherited a pool with my home purchase. My pool was opened Thursday and attached is a report of what was added.
The pool company insisted I shock my pool weekly as did the prior owner which is contrary to what I have read here.

Thoughts on what they added to the water?

FYI I ordered a TF-100 pro salt test kit which should arrive Monday May 13th

Thaks
image001.jpg

Reactions: Newdude
Insisted you shock your pool weekly??? What will they do if you don’t?

Get your test kit, run your first tests, post the results, and we will go from there.

Shock is defined as a sudden, often violent change. The only reason to shock a pool or a person is if they're DOA.

Don't follow advice from anyone who thinks needing either is normal. That is your cue that they need to over correct from ignoring the basics. Smile and be polite and exit the convo with them. We got you now. :)

Reactions: dmoks and rackydoo
IMG_0644.jpeg
Can Pedro Pedro explain which way they moved PH? Up with soda ash? Down with Dry Acid? A little of each just because the sun was out and you can be billed for 5# of something? A useless piece of info as it’s stated. Good job on getting a test kit, you’ll soon have meaningful data to adjust your own chemistry and know exactly what is happening with your water.

Reactions: rackydoo
As a follow up to my original post I recived the TF-100 pro salt today without the salt strips which are on back order.

Here are my results
Water temp 48 degress. SGW has run at 100% the past 3 days along the pump. Both ran for 36Hrs after openeing

FC-19
CC-0
Calcium Harness 150
Total Alkalinity 270
CYA 90
CL High out of color range
PH 8.2

Awaiting salt strips to test salt.

Thanks

Turn your cell off for a day or two. Your target FC for your CYA is 6-12. Always follow this...Link-->FC/CYA Levels

They really did a number on your TA (alkalinity). That is really high. You will be adding muriatic acid very frequently to maintain your pH. High TA will cause pH rise. While your TA is still high (>100), when your pH gets to 8, reduce it with muriatic acid to 7.2/7.4. When it gets to 8 again, reduce it again. As you add acid to lower your pH, your TA will come down. You should target a TA of 60-80. When you get closer to 60-80, don't force the pH down to 7.2/7.6...it will find an equilibrium about 7.8 or so with lower TA.

You should order a salt test KIT, not strips...Here--> TF Salt Bundle Or taylor K-1766.

If the water temp was higher would the pool be safe to swim in with the current numbers?

With CYA 90 your pool is safe to swim up to the SLAM FC value of 36pp. So, yes.

Your CYA may be over 90 so follow the procedure below...

For CYA > 90ppm, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
  1. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark (15 ml line) with pool water.
  2. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark (30 ml line) with tap water.
  3. Shake briefly to mix.
  4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark (15 ml line).
  5. Continue the test normally from adding R-0013, but multiply the final result by two.

If you need to dilute the pool water further then apply these ratios:[7]

Pool waterTap or distilled waterMultiply result by

Note that when doing a diluted test not only do you multiply the range of the test you multiply the error rate of the test, so results are a ballpark - not an absolute.

See CYA Testing for tips in how to read the test results.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did the CYA test with 50% pool water and 50% tap and still got 90
I
'm an idiot . I didn't see the paper with the salt test info in my kit. I was following the laminated card.
So I tested the salt and got 3400- 3600.
It's a bit tricky to get an exact color match.
Pool math shows based on 3600 salt I should replace 6% of my pool water.

Thoughts?

Your salt is fine where it is. Salt tests are +/- 500 ppm. 6% is a rounding error.

and we still have alot of spring left. Plenty of rain will come to lower the (perfectly fine as is) 3600 with overflow. :)

Another rookie mistake I tested the CYA inside standing under a kitchen light as it was cloudy outside when I got the 90 reading twice

I tested this morning in bright sunlight and using the 50% pool and 50% tap water listed above and got a reading of 120

I kept the sample inside for about 2 hrs and had my sister in law test who has much better eye site. Before
she tested I shook the vile twice to cloud up the test water. She got a reading of 80 twice.
I tested again with the same sample and got 120 again.
Is this accurate as the sample sat for 2 hrs? We didn't have time to pull new sample when she was here.
If not accurate I will have her test again with a fresh sample
BTW I hate this test

Apologies for the all the crazy questions

80 and 120 using the dilution test?

Don’t sweat perfection with the CYA test. You just need to know a close number to set your FC level. When in doubt use the higher CYA which will error on the good side of higher FC.

80 and 120 using the dilution test?

Don’t sweat perfection with the CYA test. You just need to know a close number to set your FC level. When in doubt use the higher CYA which will error on the good side of higher FC.

Yes 80 and 120 after multiplying the tube result by 2

Good to hear. I have been going nuts with this test and have used on bottle of the agent the past day.
Thank You!

Turn your cell off for a day or two. Your target FC for your CYA is 6-12. Always follow this...Link-->FC/CYA Levels

They really did a number on your TA (alkalinity). That is really high. You will be adding muriatic acid very frequently to maintain your pH. High TA will cause pH rise. While your TA is still high (>100), when your pH gets to 8, reduce it with muriatic acid to 7.2/7.4. When it gets to 8 again, reduce it again. As you add acid to lower your pH, your TA will come down. You should target a TA of 60-80. When you get closer to 60-80, don't force the pH down to 7.2/7.6...it will find an equilibrium about 7.8 or so with lower TA.

You should order a salt test KIT, not strips...Here--> TF Salt Bundle Or taylor K-1766.
I finally found muranic acid. I'm going to add today based the pool math app. I assume I will be adding over the course of the next few days not all in one day. I read that it takes about 30min to lower PH. Should I add more than one dosage a day? This is what I bought.
39E4F079-31FB-4092-8F54-662CF6047E30_1_201_a.jpeg

hi

My test says to fill with pool water at the 7.5 line. So I then I would fill to 15 with tap water shake and pour water out to the 7.5 line and test normally.
I assume we have different test kits? I have the Taylor 100 Pro salt

Stan

With CYA 90 your pool is safe to swim up to the SLAM FC value of 36pp. So, yes.

Your CYA may be over 90 so follow the procedure below...

For CYA > 90ppm, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
  1. Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark (15 ml line) with pool water.
  2. Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark (30 ml line) with tap water.
  3. Shake briefly to mix.
  4. Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark (15 ml line).
  5. Continue the test normally from adding R-0013, but multiply the final result by two.

If you need to dilute the pool water further then apply these ratios:[7]

Pool waterTap or distilled waterMultiply result by

Note that when doing a diluted test not only do you multiply the range of the test you multiply the error rate of the test, so results are a ballpark - not an absolute.

See CYA Testing for tips in how to read the test results.

hi

My test says to fill with pool water at the 7.5 line. So I then I would fill to 15 with tap water shake and pour water out to the 7.5 line and test normally.
I assume we have different test kits? I have the Taylor 100 Pro salt

Stan
Yes

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support