Pool company guy screwed up...

NICE!!! Look at that shine and sparkle!!! WOWZER!!!!

So lets talk some more about that pool.............PLEASE share some more pics of that spa and deck and spill over! That looks so pretty!!! I want to see more!
Thanks. Was like this when we moved in. To be honest, the pool deck, coping, and pool surface are in a pretty bad state. Lots of cracks, rust spots, concrete chips, etc. probably going to get it redone in a couple of years. Not sure if we’ll keep the rock spillover ...0D2EC431-018C-451A-8AC5-3F444EEF3A99.jpegB5B42F1A-B7CF-477F-9286-71FFC8C136F1.jpeg63FCBA21-B872-40BD-AEC4-F50A28BA2BBF.jpeg94D4C5FA-EBA2-4012-8387-32C863A9EF01.jpegA37200DA-C971-49E5-8454-8024CBDEB9AE.jpeg0BEA45D8-617A-4FBA-9F18-6E3036057D87.jpeg

LOVE it! Is the spa connected to the pool at all? (other than then pipes that is) I could see an nice seating area where the rocks are.
Just connected by the spillover and pipes. Everything runs together - heater, SWG, etc. So disconnecting the two would be a project but maybe worth it if we can keep the spa open deep into the winter after closing the pool.

Just connected by the spillover and pipes. Everything runs together - heater, SWG, etc. So disconnecting the two would be a project but maybe worth it if we can keep the spa open deep into the winter after closing the pool.
There is not combination of valves that would allow you to isolate the suction and return lines to just the spa? My pool has a pretty simple valve arrangement so I can suck and return only to the spa.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There is not combination of valves that would allow you to isolate the suction and return lines to just the spa? My pool has a pretty simple valve arrangement so I can suck and return only to the spa.
It’s possible, you’re right, but it then bypasses my SWG which only returns to the main pool. I would just have to keep the chlorine up manually by pouring into the spa which isn’t really the end of the world for ~1000 gallons I suppose.

It’s possible, you’re right, but it then bypasses my SWG which only returns to the main pool. I would just have to keep the chlorine up manually by pouring into the spa which isn’t really the end of the world for ~1000 gallons I suppose.
It would be like that just for the time you run your spa in the winter.. yes? Because the pool would be "closed" anyway. I do the same thing more or less, my attached spa spills into the pool. In the winter when we fire up the spa I go full spa mode (suction valve to spa, return valve to spa) and I usually have the SWG controller off anyway since its too cold to make chlorine and I'm chlorinating with liquid Cl.

It would be like that just for the time you run your spa in the winter.. yes? Because the pool would be "closed" anyway. I do the same thing more or less, my attached spa spills into the pool. In the winter when we fire up the spa I go full spa mode (suction valve to spa, return valve to spa) and I usually have the SWG controller off anyway since its too cold to make chlorine and I'm chlorinating with liquid Cl.
Yup. I could do that. How cold does it get there? Do you ever close the spa?

Last edited:
I never really close my pool in Ca.. there is enough warm weather through the winter months that prevent me from doing that.. but not enough sun to warm it for swimming. It doesn't really freeze here to the point I have to worry about winterization. The water temp will drop into the high 40's, so I chlorinate with liquid CL when the SWG is too cold to function. The chlorine demand is pretty low during those months and I am mostly dealing with overflow from the winter rains.. so we just fire up the spa whenever we want. About once or twice a winter I will heat the whole pool for a birthday party .. It takes about a day, and costs less in gas than renting a party room at a pizza place. So I don't know if you have to winterize all your equipment and shut it down.. that would present a problem if you just want to run your spa.

BTW Say hi to Philly for me.. my Dad was from Filthydelphia as he would say. So I know how the weather patterns go there, I've spent enough time in the area visiting family.

I never really close my pool in Ca.. there is enough warm weather through the winter months that prevent me from doing that.. but not enough sun to warm it for swimming. It doesn't really freeze here to the point I have to worry about winterization. The water temp will drop into the high 40's, so I chlorinate with liquid CL when the SWG is too cold to function. The chlorine demand is pretty low during those months and I am mostly dealing with overflow from the winter rains.. so we just fire up the spa whenever we want. About once or twice a winter I will heat the whole pool for a birthday party .. It takes about a day, and costs less in gas than renting a party room at a pizza place. So I don't know if you have to winterize all your equipment and shut it down.. that would present a problem if you just want to run your spa.

BTW Say hi to Philly for me.. my Dad was from Filthydelphia as he would say. So I know how the weather patterns go there, I've spent enough time in the area visiting family.
Yup, have to winterize. So a bit tricky.

Congrats on taking over your pool maintenance & killing it??
Well done! I have read this entire thread & must say you’ve been a good student ?‍?
You really stuck with it & gained confidence along the way. I hope others will read this & be inspired to do the same.

Reactions: Pperc
Congrats on taking over your pool maintenance & killing it??
Well done! I have read this entire thread & must say you’ve been a good student ?‍?
You really stuck with it & gained confidence along the way. I hope others will read this & be inspired to do the same.
Thank you! I feel like that too!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Yup, have to winterize. So a bit tricky.
I reread the whole thread from last summer.. I forgot was a wonderful ride you were on... and too look for info about your setup and how you winterize.

I bet there is a way to run in Spa mode on your system in the winter. If your equipment is tucked away in a shed it doesn't sound like it is filled with antifreeze for the winters sleep or removed to be stored in a garage. Is it? The pool would stay shut down and covered, you just run the spa. Besides flushing the system with a little LC would help prevent the green spa you had at opening this year.

Reactions: Pperc
I reread the whole thread from last summer.. I forgot was a wonderful ride you were on... and too look for info about your setup and how you winterize.

I bet there is a way to run in Spa mode on your system in the winter. If your equipment is tucked away in a shed it doesn't sound like it is filled with antifreeze for the winters sleep or removed to be stored in a garage. Is it? The pool would stay shut down and covered, you just run the spa. Besides flushing the system with a little LC would help prevent the green spa you had at opening this year.
Not a crazy idea ... :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.