Philadelphia, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So much for spending all this time reading to try and perfect my pool opening with new liner. First time pool owner, just had pool liner replaced and all new equipment installed. I had my TF Pro kit with salt testing ready to go. Figured with water temps still in the 50’s and just filling the pool that I would get chlorine levels up using liquid chlorine and turn salt cell on in next couple of weeks.
I added 128 ounces of 10% liquid chlorine yesterday but per old pool math I needed 188 ounces to get up to 5ppm with a 40 cya. I was going to add more today to get to the right level and the pool guys showed up to fire up the equipment for the first time and told me they shocked the pool. I immediately told them I already added 128 ounces of chlorine and they didn’t seem to be concerned. They also added 10 40lb bags of salt and left 5 for me to add once salt level tested.

I used block tester and FC is 5 or greater. I didn’t bother wasting the other drops from the kit since I know the chlorine is elevated. I may run test that tomorrow after letting pump run. CYA is 0 so I know they didn’t add any stabilizer. PH is 7.8. TA is 6 and calcium hardness is 100.

should I add stabilizer tomorrow or should I wait for chlorine to dissipate some first? On one hand, I figure stabilizer may keep chlorine levels from dropping but on the other hand, it will reduce its effectiveness.

Add the stabilizer using the sock method.

The elevated FC is not a problem. You should do a FAS/DPD chlorine test and find out where your FC is.

Do you know what 'shock' they added? It may or may not have added CYA. Might not be enough to test.

Do you know what 'shock' they added? It may or may not have added CYA. Might not be enough to test.
I do not, but going to check my trash can to see if they might have thrown out a container or bag. The CYA view tube filled up to the top and remained clear. I can check it again today when I do the FAS/DPD test to be sure.
Also correction to my TA in original post, it was 60, not 6.

That bag of “shock” is calcium hypochlorite. It doesn’t contain any CYA.
Thanks going to add CYA today to about 40 and then will add more when I bring SWG online for good. Water temp has been floating between 54-58 even with the cold we had the other night, so I assume I’ll be able to turn on SWG shortly.
PH was at 7.5 after fill and was at 7.8 last night. I see on the shock bag it states to lower PH to 7.2-7.4 before adding because it will increase PH. That probably explains the quick jump from 7.5 to 7.8 in less than 24 hours.

Added two 4lb bags of CYA yesterday and it’s registering now in tube, but still able to fill all the way, so I look to be close to 30. Going to add another 4lb bag today. I was surprised when checking chlorine, my concern over the shock was over blown as the block was showing 0 chlorine. I finally did the FAS/DPD and that agreed. I think I could see a very slight pink hue when adding the scoop but very slight if any so low to no chlorine. Readings from now are below. I’m going to get more chlorine in now, add the next CYA bag, and get the Robot vac in for the first time. I need PB to drop off more salt bags at this point as I’m at 2800 with 15 bags and salt cell still shows low.
FC - maybe 1 but barely
CC - 0
PH - 7.6
Salt - 2800
CH - 325
TA - 50
CYA - close to 30

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Added two 4lb bags of CYA yesterday and it’s registering now in tube, but still able to fill all the way, so I look to be close to 30. Going to add another 4lb bag today
I would hold off on the CYA.. it can take a few days to completely get into solution and show up on the test. Be patient. What did your initial testing say you needed to add?

BTW.. it sounds like you are managing your pool fine on your own...who are those gorillas that dumped shock in your pool without telling you? I would fire them bums.

I would hold off on the CYA.. it can take a few days to completely get into solution and show up on the test. Be patient. What did your initial testing say you needed to add?

BTW.. it sounds like you are managing your pool fine on your own...who are those gorillas that dumped shock in your pool without telling you? I would fire them bums.
CYA was at or near zero. I dissolved one bag in hot water then poured in and the other I hung a sock at return. I went conservative with only two bags at first since it’s my first time with pool. I put 3/4 bag more in now in a sock. If I overshoot 40, it shouldn’t be by much if my math is right and it won’t matter much since I’ll be increasing it once I get the SWG started up soon. Being my first time with this stuff I appreciate the feedback and advice. I’m finding it to be less difficult than I thought(thanks to TFP), but learning a lot. The best part was when my 4 year old came in while I was testing and asked if I was doing an experiment.

Reactions: mknauss
The best part was when my 4 year old came in while I was testing and asked if I was doing an experiment.
YES! start'em young on the TFP protocol and the world will be a better place!

So how much CYA did you calculate that you needed to add. Don't fly blind? For Salt and CYA I like to suggest adding in halves the first time.. since the alternative to getting rid of the overage is draining your pool. Add half of what you calculated, test get result, add half of what you have left... rinse and repeat .. creep up on your target value. Along the way you will learn how your pool responds to incremental additions. One of the things I learn(ed) doing this is dialing-in the volume of my pool really is.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.