Pool - Cold Weather Problem

vgomez1

Silver Supporter
Oct 13, 2017
NTX
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Pool did well last night - continually running. But, just noticed that both the filter and the pump valve are leaking, so now I need to add water to keep it running. Do I add water and leave it running, or do I backwash/drain the filter/pump/heater and shut it down? Thx!

Do I add water and leave it running, or do I backwash/drain the filter/pump/heater and shut it down?
With those leaks in critical areas, I would be inclined to shut everything down now before you lose good daylight. Drain everything at the pad, protect the skimmer, and cover the pad until this system passes. Evaluate the leaky areas later.

Thanks. Here is my setup. I believe the 3 valves on the left are drains (2 for the pool and 1 for the skimmer).

Do I open these to drop the water below the skimmer? Then, do I close them to keep water out?

What other valves would I close?

Then I take off the drain plug from the filter and 2 drain plugs from the pump?

Anything with the heater?

Attachments

• 20221223_144531.jpg
    20221223_144531.jpg
    518.5 KB · Views: 8
I wouldn't worry about dropping the water level. Just put something like a half-filled bottle in the skimmer to absorb potentially freezing water in there. Back at the pad, leave the drain plugs out of the filter, pumps, and heater. I don't see any union fittings, otherwise I would suggest separating those as well and possibly blowing or vacuuming any water out of the lines above ground.

While I don't see any unions, you do have the option of removing the top of one or two 3-way valves. With the handle/top off, you have good access to plumbing to blow air in or vacuum out water. Then you could just leave those handles off until after the weather passes. All you are trying to do is remove enough water to not expand or create enough room in the pipes for water to expand without rupturing anything else.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since this is for a short-term TX heater closure, I wonder if steps 1-4 are adequate? Thoughts?

Water may not drain from that pressure switch and siphon loop and freeze. There is a reason they want it removed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.