Pool cloudy during SLAM

kingst

Jul 14, 2020
Davis, CA
Hello TFP,

I'm running my first SLAM right now and my pool is cloudy. I put in some soda ash before the SLAM to get my ph up to 7.4, which did add some cloudiness to the pool, then I added 4.5 gallons of 10% liquid bleach to bring my FC up to 31. My TP-100 hasn't arrived yet, so I'm guessing a bit about FC and I can't measure CC to see when the SLAM is done, but I can confirm that it's more yellow then the highest FC on my current test kit, which should put it above 5 or 6. I brushed the steps and side of the pool today and there was white powdery stuff that came off, similar to how it looks when I brush and have algae, only the particles were white.

(1) How long should I expect cloudiness from soda ash? I've used it before and I seem to remember it being a day or so, but that was a while ago so I might be remembering incorrectly.

(2) Is it possible that the cloudiness is from the chlorine killing algae? I think I read that when reading about SLAM, but I read pretty much the whole site recently so I might be confusing some details.

Thanks for helping out a newbie -- excited to get my pool set and follow this program!

--Sam

It would be far better and safer to wait until your test kit arrives.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.