Pool closing with waterfall

JenF75

Jul 12, 2017
Stouffville, ON, Canada
We’re going to attempt to close our pool ourselves for the first time. We are located in Ontario, therefore have quite harsh winters. I’ve been reading a lot about closing the pool on the forums, but I can’t find anything about a pool with a waterfall. Any special precautions we need to take?

Also, does everyone use Polyquat 60? I'm reading mixed info on this. Some use it, and I'm reading that some people bring their pool up to SLAM level and don't use the Polyquat 60. I'll skip it if it's not necessary!!

Waterfalls can be tricky. Much depends on how water collects in/around the structure. Best to remove as much water as possible before your first set of deep freezes hit to avoid expansion.

As for the Poly, yes, many TFP member use it, but many do not. As you noted, if the water is clear and FC elevated a bit just prior to shutting it down with cold water below 60 degrees, the Poly may not be needed. Some feel it's simply "insurance" just in case. But if used, you have to let the FC fall back down to the normal range. If you add Poly at SLAM levels, it will just get oxidized by the chlorine.

Good luck!

Reactions: JenF75
It is either one or the other (high FC SLAM levels or low normal levels and Poly 60). Both will be fine. If your blower has enough air volume, clearing the waterfall line is no different. Water should not be able to get back into the lines and freeze. You have a valve that controls the flow of the waterfall, so after you clear the line, just close it off. The other side is open, but no big deal and you will be fine.

Reactions: JenF75
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.