Pool Closing WAAAAH, black water in spring

rlefig

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 29, 2013
Reading, MA
It's that time of year in the to start closing the pool in MA. For the past two years I have used a mesh elephant type cover and for the past two years the water has been black with chunks of algae in the spring when I open the pool.

My closing procedure is Make sure all debris is out of pool and pool is clean, blow out and plug all lines. Dump a whole bunch of liquid chlorine in like 4 gallons for 19K pool and cover.

Since we had our coping redone the cover does sag a bit when snow is on it as new coping is flush. So I will tighten up springs for cover. Also the pool gets really full from snow where water is level with top. So all of this might cause the algae problem in the spring.

Thanks

I was thinking the same thing. I don’t even think about closing till end of October. My water is 73 still. You should close later. Like said above. Below 60 or better. And of course open when water is cold. I open in end of March April or when my water is still in the 40’s.

Reactions: Chickinvic
The water is not near 60, what happens is come september I have to top off pool once a week or more and gets expensive to keep dumping in water when nobody is swimming. I don't know why I lose so much in september has to be a temp thing because it does not happen in summer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.