Pool Closing - Getting killed with upcharges

NoobDude

Bronze Supporter
Jun 14, 2020
New York
First year with the pool, never done a closing before. Pool company quoted me $300 for the closing, and then of course all the extra costs come in for things I assumed were included (again, I'm a total newb at this):

$99 to add shock, algaecide and metal sequestrant

$99 to clean SWG cell

$99 to clean filter cartridge

and just for giggles, $29 for rodent repellent for the heater (lol).

I understand I can clean the cell easily, and the cartridge easy enough but I'd rather them do it the first year and just watch them like a hawk. Do I need the chemicals?

New York

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends what chemicals. Polyquat 60 algaecide is recommended for Winterization. A quart can cost you $25...

Metal sequestrant is their insurance that metals in the water don’t stain the pool over the winter. Shock depends what FC level the pool is at closing.

I just assumed chemicals and cleaning were all included in closing, but to them, closing just really means blowing out the lines.

Yup, that is the way it is done around here.

Here too just the lines and put on the cover. They are here 25 minutes at most. I do tell them no chemicals. I pay $200. They put in some kind of winterizer if you want but it can‘t possibly mix they shut the pump down within minutes after arriving and I am too cheap to pay for it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.