Pool 'closed', not covered; algae

spf30

Apr 28, 2009
Hanna City, IL
Preface: After replacing several pool covers over the years to tears, etc, we've been closing our pool by doing everything up to the point of covering. Besides the expense of replacing the covers, it also made a mess when trying to get the leaves/debris off before pulling off the cover in spring (above ground pool).

This is the first year, due to extremely warm fall weather, that we have a green pool in December! I've tried removing the leaves from the bottom (we always have them in the past, but water remains blue), but difficult to do when you can no longer vacuum. Will I be able to get rid of algae/green color but dumping tons of bleach (and moving the water around with a pole to distribute), or will I just be wasting money on the bleach? And ideas how to correct this with no filter running?

Nothing you can do now. Wait until Spring, stock up on liquid chlorine, and plan on the SLAM Process after the equipment is running.

Reactions: Mdragger88
To prevent this from occurring in future off seasons you may wish to opt for a leaf net cover that you can remove, dump, & replace if you wish after the majority of the leaves have fallen or maybe using a battery powered vac to help with debris.
*Also - periodically checking fc & adding more if necessary before it gets too low. You can just use the pool brush to mix it in & distribute.
Closing late & opening early is your friend.

Reactions: borjis
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.