Pool closed for Winter....now green.

gdog2004

Jul 19, 2011
Lehigh Valley, PA
My pool was closed in November with a pool temp of around 55 degrees. I brought it close to shock level and just forgot about it. Sometime in December, I drained some off of the top.
I have not looked at it since. The pool temp is probably well under 45 degrees right now and I opened the cover and saw the pool is a lovely shade of light green.
Sigh. This has never happened before with the same routine. Anyway...I do NOT want to open the pool now so what would be the best way to clear it up without a pump and filter ?

My pool was closed in November with a pool temp of around 55 degrees. I brought it close to shock level and just forgot about it. Sometime in December, I drained some off of the top.
I have not looked at it since. The pool temp is probably well under 45 degrees right now and I opened the cover and saw the pool is a lovely shade of light green.
Sigh. This has never happened before with the same routine. Anyway...I do NOT want to open the pool now so what would be the best way to clear it up without a pump and filter ?
What’s the chlorine level now? Can add more if it’s low.

Not sure why that occurred unless perhaps you has some higher winter temps than normal that depleted your fc.
Just leave it until you open then you will need to do the
SLAM Process. A working pump & filter is a must to slam. You may want to open a little earlier than usual since you know you will be needing to slam & that takes time, also doing the slam before the water warms up too much may give you a helping hand.
You can add a little fc now to keep it from getting worse until then (be sure to mix it thoroughly with a brush so nothing sits on the liner since you don’t have the pump going. I do the pouring with one hand & the brushing with the other.
Trick Or Treat Halloween GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Reactions: thefloatqueen
If you have a robot, you could plug it in and run it after adding some liquid chlorine.

Reactions: GregMorris
Algae will not stain the liner but... if the chlorine is not properly distributed, it can and will bleach your liner.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.