Pool Cleaners (robot, etc)- how long have you had yours?

I have had my Polaris 280 for five years (this is my sixth summer with it). It has never had an issue and I would purchase a new one if it ever broke. I keep it in my pool 24 hours a day and run it three hours every day.
My 280 is over 10 years old. I have replaced some parts such as tires and 1 wheel, the tail and the catch net over time but very pleased with it. At the time, it was installed, this was the best technology. Simple and durable.

Reactions: Saturn94
280 users...

I still have an old Black Rotary-Dial phone that we had when we had a party line.. and I bet that if I took it out of my antique collection it would still work today.. That said, it does a terrible job with texting. :poke:

Thanks,

Jim R.

😝😝😝

We don’t get much dirt/fine debris in the pool, mainly leaves and plant debris, which the 280 does a great job cleaning up.
😀👍

Reactions: guinness
Had our Blue Diamond for 8 years, this year its no longer working correctly.

But I think we all need to preface "years" with how long our season actually is. Here in CT, *maybe* 4 months of use a year. And when I was using it, *maybe* once or twice a week. So 32 months = 128 weeks, times twice a week...I got 256 uses out of it before it went kaput. Paid about 1K for it, so about $4 per use.

Worth it? Depends on the weather :) Ive been vacuuming manually since it died and its not a big deal unless its 90+ out (and guess what its been the last couple weeks?)

Would I buy another one? Maybe....cant really afford another $1K right now (thanks, Covid), so I will manual vac until the end of this season. funny though, my wife complains about how much of a pain it is to manually vac, but in the 19 years we've been here...she has never vacuumed the pool once lol

I have a Hayward Tigershark and have owned it since the day we moved into our home with a pool (3 years tomorrow!). The old owners left it for us, which was appreciated. I have no experience with any other model, but I love this thing. I run it 2 - 3 times per week and it lives in the pool 24/7 when not running.

I've only manually vacuumed 3 times and it was 3 times too many! lol If it broke, I would replace it immediately, even if I had to severely cut back in other places in my household budget.

We too have a Tiger Shark and we love it! I never thought to just leave it in the pool. I use the robot once a week and I am always amazed how well it cleans. I vacuumed once at the start of the season and haven't had the need to do it again.

280 users...

I still have an old Black Rotary-Dial phone that we had when we had a party line.. and I bet that if I took it out of my antique collection it would still work today.. That said, it does a terrible job with texting. :poke:

Thanks,
Jim R.
[a better comparison would be an iPhone 6s and an iPhone 11. The former has a home button and a headphone jack and works just fine. And it may be just the right size for some people. The iPhone 11 has no home button or headphone jack and those factors can annoy a lot of people (kind of like having a cord that needs to go from an outlet across the deck into a pool and a caddy to move the robot to and from the pool). Who needs that aggravation when the 280 does a fine job. /QUOTE]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Had an OLD Dolphin Diagnostic that still runs but is heavy and a pain to clean. Purchased an S300 which worked perfectly for 4 years until the motor went (I sort of blame myself because it was in the pool 24/7). Bought an S200 to replace it almost immediately. Would never ever go back to manually cleaning. My time is worth way more than that. The one thing I did realize is that the S200 is a great value for the price and spending more money will get you more useless features but won't get you a cleaner pool.

The cleaner theft is saying “ look, he wants a better one..Let’s help speed that up :)

I wish. I had an M5 Supreme before, and replaced it with the M500. Virtually identical. At that point the S300 did not have swivel cords and that was a deal breaker for me.

Reactions: markayash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.