Pool Cleaner wall cleaning

thinksabunch2

Dec 19, 2022
Phoenix
Several people have opined that there is little value in a pool machine climbing the sides of the pool. I disagree. My Hayward Pool Machine stopped climbing the sides of my diving pool over a year ago. It takes a lot more time to sweep all the sides of the pool than not having to do that. Anyway, in my spare time, I tried to find out why. The pool shop said they were never designed to climb. I had the Pool Machine from back in the day when it was called Pool Vergneugun (sp?). It climbed all the way up to the tiles for years - so it was clearly designed to climb. I tried many things. Had the pump guy out, replaced the entire hose, looked in vain for air leaks, tried to find out whether impeller wear would cause this. All to no end. But I finally tried something that probably shouldn't have worked. I noticed that a very slight downward pressure on the hose would make the machine climb - I mean a very slight downward pressure - on the order of a few ounces. I reasoned that I needed more pump pressure, but then realized that the floats have the effect of pulling the machine upward through floatation. So I took them off. Pool Machine climbs like new - no more sweeping the dust off the sides of the pool. And in doing this I finally figured out what the function of the floats is. It's to keep the machine upright on its wheels in the extreme shallow end of the pool. The hose itself functions that way (provides enough floatation) in the deep end of the pool. In the shallow end, there is not enough hose length right above the machine to keep the machine upright and in some very unusual circumstances (at least in my pool) the machine will find a way to lie on its side in a corner suspending its drive wheels and just lie there spinning. That's only happened once. Still don't know why it stopped climbing in the first place. Never solved that. But I'm glad to have a clean pool back - just have to keep an eye out for the machine trying to lie down on the job.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Glad you got that sorted out & are happy with it, that’s all that really matters anyway.
I have never seen one of those completely climb the wall, they are definitely not marketed as climbers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.