Pool Cleaner Run Time

Seadweller

Aug 21, 2009
Tampa Bay Area
Do most of you run your pool cleaner 100% of the time that the pump is running, or do you turn it off when the pool is clean, saving wear and tear on the cleaner? I used to turn my off when the pool is clean, and and use only the main drain and skimmer for water circulation. I did find that algae would start growing inside the pool cleaner hose, presumably since it was baking in the sun, and chlorinated water wasn't circulating through it. I would imagine that could introduce algae into the pool. I assume if I didn't want to run the cleaner 100% of the time, I'd have to take the entire cleaner/hose out of the pool so it dries out?

You do not indicate what type of pool cleaner but assume it is a pressure side cleaner or a suction side cleaner since both require the pump to be running. In summer, I may run my pressure side cleaner 1-3 hours a WEEK. With all the swimming, the circulation does well to keep the pool clean. in Fall/Winter, I am running DAILY for about 1-2 hours to keep up with the leaves and debris. I keep my cleaner in the pool majority of time. Only exception is when many people are in pool then I remove it.

If you have algae, then that is more of a Chlorine level issue. I would suggest you remove the cleaner and throughly clean it with bleach and a toothbrush. If you have all algae removed from the cleaner and you properly maintain your pool FC level based on the FC/CYA Levels, you should be able to leave your cleaner in the pool.

Others here use an actuator on the suction side valve to limit run time. If you're into DIY you can put together a cheap controller to schedule that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.