Pool chiller - homemade evaporative

May 8, 2016
Frisco, TX
When building these homemade evaporative coolers, I posted a question about restricting some water flow and increasing PSI by replacing inlet jet eyeballs. (Yes, you can do that, BTW.) There was also a request to post pictures of the chillers. So this post is just showing my creation in case anyone else is interested. In terms of performance, I live in Texas and run these when the temps go over 95. It's not going to dramatically bring down the temp but it definitely keeps the temp from running away from you. One year it got so hot for a while that it was miserable to get in. These chillers take out a few degrees a day and keep it swimmable. If I run them when the temp is lower, say 90 or below, it will cool it off too much. Without further ado, here is version 3.0 of the chillers.

This is before increasing pressure but it shows how I mount it. There's a step there. Chiller inserts into inlet jet and lets rest on the step. I think you could also have the legs brace against the wall as well.
20190731_105012B.jpg

This is one of them out of the water.
20190730_123232B.jpg

Then, for 2 of the 3 remaining jets, I just took a little ball that fit into the eyeball and essentially plugged the inlet jet.
20190731_014849B.jpg

And here are the final chillers with the pressure upped. Those streams are a good 7 feet out into the pool. Lots of surface area.
IMG-2393.JPG

Reactions: Divin Dave
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.