Pool Chemicals Application - New Approach

AAlberca

Jun 14, 2020
South Texas
After some reading here about the Liquid-Chlorine/Bleach (LC/B) approach to pool chemicals application (PCA), want to give it a try; but have some Q&As before proceeding:
-Any transition issues to changing PCA from trichlor tablets to LC/B?
-Use a chlorinator for trichlor application. Can I just simply set the flow dial to zero or do I need to disconnect the chlorinator? Like to be able to use the chlorinator when I'm away and unable to perform daily LC/B.

Welcome to the forum!
How do you test your pool water chemistry?
Just follow the FC/CYA Levels and start adding liquid chlorine every day to maintain your FC. Check your pH regularly as it will no longer be held down by the trichlor.
I would leave the chlorinator with water flow through it. Whatever tablets in it just let dissolve (unless your CYA is very high). Then use it when you will be away from the pool for several days.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: No transition issues. Just remove any tabs currently in use then add liquid chlorine or regular bleach slowly near a return jet each day as required to maintain the proper FC level for your CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. If you haven't seen our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry, that's a good place to start. Once the chlorinator is empty, it doesn't matter what it's set to. Hope that helps answer your initial questions. Let us know if you have any others.

Welcome to the forum!
How do you test your pool water chemistry?
Just follow the FC/CYA Levels and start adding liquid chlorine every day to maintain your FC. Check your pH regularly as it will no longer be held down by the trichlor.
I would leave the chlorinator with water flow through it. Whatever tablets in it just let dissolve (unless your CYA is very high). Then use it when you will be away from the pool for several days.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Perfect...thx!
Currently I just have a 5way test kit, but looking to add-on a CYA test kit and chlorine drop-test kit (FAS-DPD...I think that's what it is), or just get the TF-100 total kit, to perform more thorough testing and support this new approach (as per my TFP readings).

Reactions: IceShadow
Welcome to TFP! :wave: No transition issues. Just remove any tabs currently in use then add liquid chlorine or regular bleach slowly near a return jet each day as required to maintain the proper FC level for your CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. If you haven't seen our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry, that's a good place to start. Once the chlorinator is empty, it doesn't matter what it's set to. Hope that helps answer your initial questions. Let us know if you have any others.

Thx for your advice! Definitely reviewed ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry , which got me going on this.
GO SPURS GO !!!

Reactions: Texas Splash
Get the whole kit Test Kits Compared TF-100 is best bang for your buck. Add the SpeedStir and bring your total up for free shipping. I have the SampleSizer and additionl tubes which makes my testing alot easier and repeatable. I have two SpeedStirs now. Misplaced during a remodel. Found it after I got a new one. Once you use it you'll never want to be without it again.

Get the whole kit Test Kits Compared TF-100 is best bang for your buck. Add the SpeedStir and bring your total up for free shipping. I have the SampleSizer and additionl tubes which makes my testing alot easier and repeatable. I have two SpeedStirs now. Misplaced during a remodel. Found it after I got a new one. Once you use it you'll never want to be without it again.
Good deal!

Have a follow-up question to post:
Besides pouring bleach in front of return jets for chemical-application, are these viable options?
-Pour bleach into skimmer with pump running
-Pour bleach into tablet chlorinator before or during pump operation.

Do not add any chemical directly into the skimmer. This can damage the skimmer housing, the pump, filter, etc.

Never, and I mean Never, add any form of chlorine other than trichlor to the tablet chlorinator. It can, and most likely will, explode.

Reactions: IceShadow
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.