Apr 9, 2019
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
hello,
I've read different info on how best to store the pool chemicals but am hoping for a bit more guidance.

I have two 1 gallon bottles of MA that were left by previous owner, both stored in the garage on a top shelf. It wasn't until recently that I read I should not store this near chlorine. I keep the 1 gallon LC on the garage floor a few feet away from the MA and I just bought several more bottles of chlorine. The temps are getting hotter in Houston and the garage is not well ventilated, gets hot quickly. Placing these outside is tricky as well since there's really not much shade. I am headed to Walmart to buy a plastic container with a lid for the MA and placing it on the side of the garage that seems to have some shade.

I just noticed the one unopened MA bottle is swollen so I moved it outside. Should I poke a hole in the safety plastic that's protecting the opening to release the pressure. I hate dealing with chemicals like this but not sure if I should just leave it as-is or release the pressure. Please provide guidance.

I also have have dry chemicals several pucks in their container and a large container of dry shock also left by the previous owner. Both in the garage, near the LC. Is it okay to keep these stored near LC or should I separate them. I keep reading how these chemical can eat away at metal and we keep our cars in the garage. I'd hate to start having issues with this.

Thanks,

You can keep all the powdered pool products or pucks in the garage. Liquid chlorine or bleach should be inside as heat and sunlight weaken them.

Muriatic acid needs to be by itself, in a ventilated area, not around metals which can be rusted from its vapors. And far away from chlorine as they are a *bad* combination even when just the vapors combine. Heat doesn't both muriatic acid and many here will put it in a locked plastic type box. I read where someone dug a hole in the yard and dropped a clay pot down in the hole. They use the large drainage plate that usually goes *under* the pot instead on top for a heavy lid. Brilliant I thought, but can't have nosy kidlets around.

I'd crack open the sticky lid under the twist off cap on that one bulging jug of MA mayself. Stepping back and with eye protection on!

Maddie :flower:

Good idea to move the MA outside. It should not be stored in a garage. As far as the bottle, you will need to relieve the pressure. Take the bottle to a safe area, use PPE, and puncture the plastic seal. MA does not go bad, so it can then be used.

The pucks and LC should not be stored right next to each other. LC should be stored in a climate controlled environment as the concentration degrades, especially at elevated temperatures.

thank you both. I took the MA bottle out to the open area of the driveway and punctured a hole in the protective plastic and it immediately shot out white smoke fumes and some splash. Nothing got on me. I was wearing protective gloves, eye glasses and covered my nose/mouth and moved away fast.

after a few minutes it continued to release like a white smoke, I can see since I had it in front of the headlights of my truck. I put the cap back on and placed both MA bottles in a large plastic trash container. I'll leave the it near the side of the house under the back patio. it's really the only place with shade.

as for the LC, can I store it in the house/laundry room? the house is 100% cooler and it'a only four 1 gallon bottles. We have not pets or kids to worry about.

good morning. I know, I tend to overthink things like this until I reach a comfort level that what I am doing is correct. So I apologize in advance for my continued comments/questions.

- i placed 2 bottles of MA in a plastic garbage can with a lid. But if it's suppose to ventilate wouldn't this defeat the purpose of placing the bottles in a storage container of any sort? I can puncture a few holes on the side of the trash can for ventilation. Good/Bad ideal? Also, i understand why MA should be kept outdoors for safety which I am now doing. Is there any danger/risk if water were to leak inside the trash can from the heavy rains? The bottles caps are tight so I should be fine? I ask because I didn't like keeping the trash can under the patio so close to the house. So its on the side of garage in an open.

- I have four unopened 1 gallon bottles of 10% LC. I am buying a plastic box/lid and will keep these inside in the laundry room since I've read others do this as well and will limit the number of bottles i keep on hand to just 2/3 going forward.

- pucks, dry shock, perfect weekly, blue algae. I will keep these inside the garage for now and I will be looking to place a pool storage shed behind the garage.

I do appreciate all the help I've received from TFP. Thank you!

You need to run out and wash your truck NOW!! Get that stuff off of it!!!

M.A. does not have to be in the shade. Heat does not bother it. From now on go ahead and open it when you get it to keep the fumes from building up.

Silva1181, as already said, you have to wash it as soon as possible, cause it's all about health of you and your family. When I was cleaning my hot tub the first time - the first thing I've started doing is finding good useful articles about cleaning the hot tubs (or jacuzzis), and fortunately I found a great article in the blog written by Peter Rossi, where he definitely gives attention to every single moment of hot tubs and how people should maintain them.

Last edited:
Thank you, kimkats and kattie92.

I think the truck is okay. I was about 10-15 feet away from the truck in the middle of the driveway, just far enough to still be in the area of the headlights which is how i was able to see the vapor and small mist. It was already getting dark out when i did this. I checked the front of the truck this morning and it looked okay as did the driveway. I did not see any type of staining on the driveway but again, will check both again later when I am back home. I should probably toss baking soda on the drive way area when I get home as a precaution. This stuff is terrible to handle.

The time required to learn and understand so much so quickly hasn't been easy. I truly hope to get to the point where I/we can enjoy this pool and not be stressed about chemical handling and storage. I am in it for the long haul and am definitely glad i found this site where members are helpful and patient with new members.

thanks again!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks again.

I thought I'd share some photos of what I did. When I arrived home I found the black trash can with the 2 MA bottle was leaning to one side due to the winds today, which aren't even too bad. It's on the side of the detached garage So I decided to weigh down the can by adding a 30lb bag of pebble rock and a few bricks. I punched several holes around the top rim under the lid area for ventilation and tied the lid on with rope. Water shouldn't get in.

3rd photo is 4 LC bottles in laundry room in the house.
4th & 5th photos is chemicals left behind by previous owner. I may dispose at recycling facility
last photos is the bucket of pucks and full bucket of shock powder. I want both of these out of my garage since I can't put them outside because it's too hot and don't want to risk them getting wet. I will likely take these to a recycling facility as well.

thanks again for the help.

Attachments

• 58009333402__62995B9F-087F-4C82-8191-4D129B7218AC.JPG
    58009333402__62995B9F-087F-4C82-8191-4D129B7218AC.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 48
  • 58009334184__A35947E1-B294-4C54-9103-1A11AC9B437B.JPG
    58009334184__A35947E1-B294-4C54-9103-1A11AC9B437B.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 58009404028__66264A4D-AF3F-431A-AFE2-29C5FC91FD75.JPG
    58009404028__66264A4D-AF3F-431A-AFE2-29C5FC91FD75.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 43
  • 58009394701__B6ED5F0E-89B2-4100-A933-63C70400FE3F.JPG
    58009394701__B6ED5F0E-89B2-4100-A933-63C70400FE3F.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 43
  • 58009395989__E38FAE2E-A2EA-4B85-A89A-C3FB664D8D03.JPG
    58009395989__E38FAE2E-A2EA-4B85-A89A-C3FB664D8D03.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 58009396995__4EC473F2-6DDC-439A-91C8-C4221E96D2EA.JPG
    58009396995__4EC473F2-6DDC-439A-91C8-C4221E96D2EA.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 42
Show or tell us what the chemicals left behind are and we can tell you if they should be used in your pool. If it is overprice stuff might as well use it.

The pucks-You can hold on to them for times you need to raise your CYA or if you go on a weekend getaway or such!

You are doing a great job keeping your house and family safe while finding good "homes" for your chemicals!

Kim:kim:

This is certainly an optional alternative but I don't believe I would have disturbed a factory sealed bottle of MA. The expansion was surely from heat and it will contract and expand throughout the day or season. It is chemically inert and my thinking would be to trust the factory seal.

Reactions: Panzer
As long as your bottles are sealed well (both my MA and Cl come with plastic seals under the caps), I wouldn't go to any great lengths to keep these materials out of the same room.
I keep my pool supplies in a shed that has vents & a window, which I leave partially open all the time. The MA is on one shelf & Cl on another. Plastic spill pans are a good idea for open containers.

You should not be able to smell ANY of your pool chemicals, no matter where you are storing them. Both Chlorine & Hydrochloric acid (which is what MA is) may be extremely harmful if inhaled.

I typically have 3-4 gal of Cl (12.5%) and 1-2 gal of MA (20 baume) on hand which usually lasts me a few weeks. Temps inside the shed may avg around 85°F during the summer months. The Cl is not drastically degraded. The shed is locked & only my wife and I have access to the key.

FWIW, I also have my gasoline stored separately in this same shed (about 6' away) along many yard tools... none of which show any evidence of corrosion. If the containers (bottles, bags, jugs) that hold any of your chemicals show signs of leaking or bulging you're best to dispose of them and get new. Your safety & that of your family isn't worth the risk.
Respectfully,

MA and chlorine bottles are vented. We do not recommend keeping chlorine and acid in the same area.

I will tell you my hubby put the M.A. bottle in our pool house. I am guessing it was in there for about a month or so. I started noticing there was a slight film on the windows.....could not figure out why. Went to look for the M.A. as my pH needed to be pushed down. Could not find it where I keep it. Asked him where he had put it "oh in the pool house" WHAT??? Found it and removed it from there. I then cleaned and cleaned and cleaned the windows of the slick film on the windows. I noticed the metal on of one on the chairs in there has a slight hit of rust dust on it. All of that caused by the M.A. being stored in a 750 sq.ft area WITH open windows. I have sense sanded and repainted the metal on the chair.

So.................NO M.A. inside or any where near chlorine. Better safe than sorry!!

Kim:kim:

I continue to receive good info, many thanks. For now the only chems in the garage are pucks from previous owner; a full container of powder shock because pool store told me I needed it, ugh!; black algae because pool store said it would kill the tiny bugs in the pool; perfect weekly; PHOS Free.

I am still figuring which outdoor container is best to store the dry chems in and place out back. Problem is, only shade in backyard is really in the lawn area, which gets of waterlogged when it rains, and I know these shouldn't get wet, unless being used in the pool. If I leave on concrete near pool, it's in full sun for at least 8 hours.

I may get a mid size patio deck box that's at least water proof, but I guess I'll need to put some holes in it for ventilation purposes. I can leave this on the concrete near the pool area.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.