easy-e

Feb 20, 2018
Monmouth County, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We just had our pool refinished with SGM DiamondBrite finish. As part of the refinishing, a separate company took care of the water chemistry for the first 2 weeks.

They are now pushing a "Winter Watch Protection" program on me at a rate of $160 a month. I am not going to do that, obviously, but aside from maintaining the usual levels, is there any special I need to be doing? I was given instructions about when I can start using robot/heater/wheeled vacuum heads again, but nothing specific about the water chemistry.

Why would I need a company to check my water levels all winter for $160 a month??

Hi Matt

The pool is covered and closed all winter no matter what - it gets a little too cold to swim here in New Jersey from October - April, even with the heater and a very warm beverage.

My comment/concern is that with a closed pool and a new plaster surface, your CSI can get extremely positive over the winter due to pH rise and the calcium in the plaster being leached out. There really isn’t enough time for the full carbonation (curing) of the alkaline plaster components. It is not at all unusual for east coast plaster pools to develop calcium scale over the closed winter months.

I suggest you add a scale inhibitor to your winter closing plans. ScaleTec is a decent enough product.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
My comment/concern is that with a closed pool and a new plaster surface, your CSI can get extremely positive over the winter due to pH rise and the calcium in the plaster being leached out. There really isn’t enough time for the full carbonation (curing) of the alkaline plaster components. It is not at all unusual for east coast plaster pools to develop calcium scale over the closed winter months.

I suggest you add a scale inhibitor to your winter closing plans. ScaleTec is a decent enough product.

Thank you, I will do that. Should I plan to monitor CSI through winter then? Or is the product enough to cover me?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.