Pool can't hold chlorine

Thanks a lot. What is recommended to solve permanently? Drain and acid wash? And any idea on how much shld that cost ..rough range? I am currently SLAMMING and noticing 6ppm loss per night.should I continue that or get onto the acid wash process?

Since you started the SLAM, complete it. Get your water clear and then address the calcium.

It should be rough to the touch and when you
scrape some of it off, it should foam when you put muriatic acid on it. Do all this later.....complete your SLAM now.

Since you started the SLAM, complete it. Get your water clear and then address the calcium.

It should be rough to the touch and when you
scrape some of it off, it should foam when you put muriatic acid on it. Do all this later.....complete your SLAM now.

ok..so i contuning my SLAM. the water has been clear since last week but i am not passing the OCLT. i am losing about 6ppm+ in the night. Do you think the embeded algae might be caussing it? shoudl i increase the SLAM chlorine levels to the yellow alage levels? 60% of CYA (30) ~18ppm?

Pool vaccum along with pump is running 24x7. Brushing, I try to do on the wall 3 times a day but i have a back issue so it's a bit limited . The good news is I seem to have only lost 1.5 ppm FC last night..?so hopefully I am getting back on track. Will continue the SLAM today. The marks in the pictures I posted are all still there . My CH as I posted earlier is pretty high-625. Could that be contributing to the stains?

There is no point to brushing three times daily. Once is absolutely enough. Fill out your sig and tell us what type of equipment you have. Look at other members for examples. Have you cleaned backwashed your filter? At this point you should be adding FC back up to 18 or so 2-3 times daily.

I would suggest you run at 18 ppm for a while and plan on another OCLT Sunday night/Monday AM. Post that FC loss up as soon as you perform the test.

Once the SLAM is complete, we can work on your stains.

Thank you all for the help so far :)
I maintained the 18 to 19 FC over the weekend and happy to report my OCLT was 1ppm last two nights. I have not tested the CC at these high levels since I am running out of regents. Here are the other results
FC: 18
Cc.not tested
PH 7.4
TA 110
Ch 675
Cya 35

I have kept the pool open(without cover today) to reduce the FC to swimmiable levels.

What should be my next steps? Reduce TA? Have added close to 10 gallons of homedepot pool bleach in the last week..do I need to be worried about any skin irritanta that need to be addressed?. I do notice my arm a bit itchy when I got elbow deep to remove test water...

I had similar discoloration in my pool. I drained it and used an acid-based cleaner (sulfuric acid i believe) and hand-scrubbed the entire inner lining of the pool. I did this for two reasons:

1. my algae appeared to have "roots", meaning, it was rooting itself the pool lining, and so i wanted to physically scrub the lining to take the top off of the algae to make the chlorine more effective. (i read some references on some forms of algae having multiple layers of defense against chlorine).

2. the discoloration wouldn't come off with just adding chlorine, so it just looked lousy.

After that, I SLAM'ed my pool. It consumed ~5-6 ppm FC every 12 hours while the remaining algae was dying off. My SLAM took a few days (around five). I believe this was because there were a bunch of areas of my pool I couldn't scrub.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Disregard the TA for now.

Your arm was not itchy from the chlorine. You are safe to swim in anything below SLAM value.

Completing the SLAM requires three things...

A. Pool water should be crystal clear with no sign of algae anywhere
B. CC's test result should be .5 ppm or less
C. You should not lose more than 1 ppm FC overnight.

Perform the CC's test and you should be done.

Don't worry about the high chlorine. You are safe to swim in anything below SLAM value.

Now, let's discuss the staining.
Is it rough to the touch (just touch it lightly with your fingertips)?

Can you scrape off some of the roughness?

If you can collect some of it, place it on a board and add a tiny drop or so of muriatic acid......it should foam up and that pretty much confirms it is calcium

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.