Arizona
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
This is a really stupid question and one I have been pondering for quite some time.

All the pool build techniques that have seen here in the west always involve, digging the hole, lining the hole with offset rebar, shooting gunite, then plaster phase etc etc.

But since I have been here on TFP, I notice a lot of builds where they dig the hole, then line the sides of the hole with what appears to be metal siding and then I'm not sure what happens after that. Then concrete or some sort of liner? I have noticed that these types of builds appear to be in the mid-west or east coast mostly.

Is this method because the the soil is different in these locations than the soil found in the west?

Sorry for what seems to be a fairly stupid question, but I really just don't know and it has bugged me for a while.

I would appreciate it if anyone could "school" me on why the different types of builds between the east and the west!

Thanks much...
r..

Reactions: chemillion
I was able to figure out that they are more prevalent in the MidWest and East Coast it seems, but what is the reasoning behind that?
Are they better in cooler climates than gunite/plaster pools?
Are they preferred due to a difference in soils or climate?

I can't say that I have ever seen a pool built that way on this side of the country.

Reactions: Gladius Nova
I was able to figure out that they are more prevalent in the MidWest and East Coast it seems, but what is the reasoning behind that?
Are they better in cooler climates than gunite/plaster pools?
Are they preferred due to a difference in soils or climate?
Yeah, it's my understanding that the vinyl liner in ground pools are just better suited for the soil type in those areas.

Vinyl lined pools are not recommended for areas that have very high heat issues in the summer. Shotcrete is preferred by most builders as it allows tons of shapes and the best part, it puts more profit in their wallets
What do you consider or define as "very high heat issues"?
On average, are vinyl lined pools less expensive than shotcrete/plaster pools?
So why do you not see many vinyl lined pools in the coolor areas of the west? I don't know, but I have never run into or heard of one in the cooler areas of the west. Maybe there are but I'm unaware of any.

Arizona, Texas, Louisiana are just three. The higher water temps messes with the vinyl. Shotcrete can be as high as 70% more expensive. High end builders prefer shotcrete for ease of design. Out west most builders were used to cement ponds to start with, then they gravitated towards shotcrete. Vinyl is looked down upon by those builders.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In areas with potential for frost heave, a vinyl liner pool with no water line tiles to get damaged can be a better choice. Also, the build timeline for a vinyl liner pool is quite a bit shorter and likely cheaper. In the midwest, there is not a lot of local talent for gunite.
(y) Thanks...

This is a really stupid question and one I have been pondering for quite some time.

All the pool build techniques that have seen here in the west always involve, digging the hole, lining the hole with offset rebar, shooting gunite, then plaster phase etc etc.

But since I have been here on TFP, I notice a lot of builds where they dig the hole, then line the sides of the hole with what appears to be metal siding and then I'm not sure what happens after that. Then concrete or some sort of liner? I have noticed that these types of builds appear to be in the mid-west or east coast mostly.

Is this method because the the soil is different in these locations than the soil found in the west?

Sorry for what seems to be a fairly stupid question, but I really just don't know and it has bugged me for a while.

I would appreciate it if anyone could "school" me on why the different types of builds between the east and the west!

Thanks much...
r..
Concrete structure pools are structurally stronger than vinyl lined pools. I’ve seen a couple of vinyl pools in the west coast as some owners opt for this option as a lower cost and easier construction alternative.
One idea of concrete structure pools being more prevalent in the west coast possibly due to the high probability of earth movement (i.e. earthquakes)

Interesting thread.

Liner pools are certainly more prevalent in Midwest and South and Northeast, but I am not sure why. I don't believe it is related to climate much. Both can withstand heat just fine. I would also say that both can withstand soil movement equally well (but differently).

Liner pools are significantly less money, too.

So, could it just be one of those things where traditions get started and then continue? I really can think of no technical reason.

I think its all perception, at least in my area.

Our HOA only allows gunite pools and that is generally all you see in the residential/suburban areas here. The only liner pools I have seen around are out in the country, including on my father in law's ranch with actual cattle and stuff like that.

I would have preferred the price of a liner pool, but according to the HOA, that would lead to me parking in the yard, losing a few teeth, walking around the front yard in my undershirt and eventually appearing on the next episode of LivePD.

• Haha
Reactions: Snikwah

Our HOA only allows gunite pools and that is generally all you see in the residential/suburban areas here. The only liner pools I have seen around are out in the country, including on my father in law's ranch with actual cattle and stuff like that.

I would have preferred the price of a liner pool, but according to the HOA, that would lead to me parking in the yard, losing a few teeth, walking around the front yard in my undershirt and eventually appearing on the next episode of LivePD.
lol...same here. HOA only allows gunite/shotcrete pools. :cautious:

Best post of the day!!!

Reactions: JJ_Tex
It

A vinyl liner and sheet metal walls is stronger than 8" thick reinforced shotcrete? I learn something new everyday!

I have 10 inch to 16 inch (bottom is wider so it acts like a footer) reinforced concrete walls with a vinyl liner. So yeah. My vinly pool is stronger than your gunite. (Unless you take a knife to my liner. Please don't)

Reactions: Chickinvic
I have 10 inch to 16 inch (bottom is wider so it acts like a footer) reinforced concrete walls with a vinyl liner. So yeah. My vinly pool is stronger than your gunite. (Unless you take a knife to my liner. Please don't)
You have a concrete pool with a liner, the discussion was about a typically constructed steel wall vinyl pool

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.