Pool builder pushing me towards auto chlorinator & nature2

Aug 16, 2018
Avon, Indiana
Our pool is being staked out tonight, material dropped tomorrow, and excavating starts this Wednesday. We are first time pool owners and I have requested them to not install the Nature2 sanitizer and the automatic chlorinator because we would be using liquid chlorine only and this is the response I get.....

** It's in the package. The Nature 2 serves as your algaecide and only needs replaced yearly. I highly advise you not to use liquid chlorine as a sanitizer. You can call me Monday to discuss reasons why. Have a great weekend.

I have not called yet.
If it is better to use liquid chlorine why would they push to use the pucks?

The daily use of trichlor 'pucks' will raise your CYA by an unsustainable amount. The Nature 2 will add metals to your pool that can eventually stain your surfaces.

The daily use of liquid chlorine will add chlorine and water. When you are going to be away from the pool for a few days you can then use trichlor pucks and test your CYA when you return to adjust your target FC.

The pool builder works for you. Their response is because they believe all pool owners have no interest in maintenance and most likely will use a weekly service that will fill the chlorinator with pucks and leave. By August your pool water will be uncomfortable, most likely not sanitary, and potentially dangerous.

It is not a terrible idea to leave the auto chlorinator as you can use it for those days you are away (vacation, long weekends, etc). The Nature2 is most likely given to the pool builder for very little cost by the manufacturer so that the pool owner will buy the very expensive cartridges in the future.

If it is better to use liquid chlorine why would they push to use the pucks?

Because the PB's knowledge comes from the chemical companies who promote their products. He is oblivious to the problems that rising CYA from using pucks causes with pool water. He probably does not own and care for his own pool.

No point in arguing or trying to educate him. Let him install it then don't use it. Someday when you install a SWG you can have it removed. Also tell the plumber to leave a straight run after the filter and before the chlorinator where a SWG can be cut in at some later time.

The daily use of trichlor 'pucks' will raise your CYA by an unsustainable amount. The Nature 2 will add metals to your pool that can eventually stain your surfaces.

The daily use of liquid chlorine will add chlorine and water. When you are going to be away from the pool for a few days you can then use trichlor pucks and test your CYA when you return to adjust your target FC.

The pool builder works for you. Their response is because they believe all pool owners have no interest in maintenance and most likely will use a weekly service that will fill the chlorinator with pucks and leave. By August your pool water will be uncomfortable, most likely not sanitary, and potentially dangerous.

It is not a terrible idea to leave the auto chlorinator as you can use it for those days you are away (vacation, long weekends, etc). The Nature2 is most likely given to the pool builder for very little cost by the manufacturer so that the pool owner will buy the very expensive cartridges in the future.

Thanks! I guess I didn't think about having the chlorinator for when we are not in town. Thanks for bringing this up.

Why not have him install the Nature2 FusionSoft instead? It is the exact same footprint and is an excellent saltwater chlorine generator. You don't need to use the metals section just leave the blankout plate like I did. If this is not possible, you can leave the Nature2 as mentioned above and when ready for a SWG it is the exact same plumbing and footprint it is a straight swap. But it is advisable to use the same brand SWG as your automation and you are standardized on Hayward it appears.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Why not have him install the Nature2 FusionSoft instead? It is the exact same footprint and is an excellent saltwater chlorine generator. You don't need to use the metals section just leave the blankout plate like I did. If this is not possible, you can leave the Nature2 as mentioned above and when ready for a SWG it is the exact same plumbing and footprint it is a straight swap. But it is advisable to use the same brand SWG as your automation and you are standardized on Hayward it appears.

Good post! Definitely ask if you can just put a saltwater generator in. I'd add one to my pool in a second if my pool pad didn't need a partial replumb to get enough straight pipe run to use one.

Im a little more agressive, you can threaten to stop the whole construction process and see his reaction. Im sure he would not want that. Also its your money, he should be doing what you want, not the other way around. Also i would not use the glass media on the sand filter, use regular sand.

Reactions: triptyx

If you're staking the pool I would guess that means you've signed the contract. Getting changes done after this usually results in unfavorable pricing. So I'd do what PoolGate recommends. This should get you by for a few years (or more if you watch your pool chemistry) you can switch to a Hayward SWG or a generic or just replace the Nature 2 salt cell.

I hope this helps.

Chris

I'd skip both the inline chlorinator *and* the fusion2. I'd suggest going for a SWG *now* and enjoy the freedom it gives you. I've gone away for up to 17 days on vacay and left the pool covered and came home to a pristine clear and clean pool with great test results. If you were adamantly inclined to use pucks instead you could always get a floater that floats around the water.
Just my two cents.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.