Pool Build underway

See if you follow me here...........I would like to see them being bolts instead with a flat piece of metal under the wood from one bolt to the other to "tie" them together than the nuts hold it on. I worry about the screws being pulled out as people pull themselves up and out of the pool or if someone runs into the ladder while moving fast.

Kim:kim:

I hate to sound critical, but what you have there does not look very safe.

Are those posts just sitting on top of the ground, not dug in or attached to piers? If so then the deck has zero lateral support, you relying on the fence to stabilize the deck? I realize the deck is not very big but 3, 4, 5 people moving around on it at a time, jumping off into and pulling themselves up out of the pool, being that far above the ground applies a lot of leverage, it needs to be more substantial.

Your rim joists should sit ON the posts or be let into the post not just attached to the side of the post with a single bolt. There is nothing to stop many of those posts from hinging on their bolt and kicking out. Especially after the lumber shrinks and the joints become loose. Did you use the correct hot dip galvanize bolts? Treated lumber WILL rapidly corrode regular zinc hardware and cause sudden failure.

How are the angled timbers attached to the posts, the scenario you have going there is very difficult to adequately fasten them together, again these should be sitting on or let into and bolted or plated to the posts.

I don't see any joist hangers, the rim joist was already in place against the fence before the stringers were installed. That means you toe nailed or angled screws through the floor joists into the rim joist, that is not nearly good enough. The joists crack and split at the fasteners when attached like that.

I'm sure this will work for a while and may seem strong enough right now. As the wood dries out and gets subjected to weather, pool water and weight it will begin to come apart. I hate to see people get hurt, I'm afraid you have a recipe for that here.

Look at how level that water is! Your hard work paid off big time! I am guessing it is that level all the way around! Nice work!

LOVE the signs around the pool hehe :joker:

Nice plumbing for the pool. I always worry about the flex hoses getting knocked loose.

I am seeing many wonderful, fun filled days around this wonderful area!

Kim:kim:

I am getting ready to put up a 26' x 52" Intex. Did you set up the pool on top of the anti-fatigue mats? I was planning a ground cover tarp, then a Gorilla mat, then the AF mats. Am I planning overkill? Your deck looks great. I'm not doing one, but like what you did.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
thank you for the comments.
JannaLeAnn i only put down the anti fatigue mats nothing else. i did gorilla tape them all together. if you have anymore questions please dont hesitate to ask.

kimkats thanks for the comments about my work. the pool signs i actually made myself. i work for a sign company so i just got on the computer one weekend and knocked them out. i saw the signs on the internet and just redid them myself. i sure hope we have many fun days. still some small things to do here and there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.