Pool build - is this normal? (Rebar)

Mattgintx

Feb 14, 2020
Waco Tx
We have had all kinds of issues with out pool build that’s now about 9 months deep. The company hasn’t communicated with us for a solid month but is still doing occasional work…

Anyways since they don’t respond to text/phone/email anyone have an idea if things are looking correct?

I don’t know much about building a pool but don’t think I’ve ever seen rebar sticking up like this. Is the rebar later bent and used to attach into the decking? Anything else that doesn’t look right or odd?

thanks!

Attachments

• 713335DE-7123-464B-982D-9FE25C7C5639.jpeg
    713335DE-7123-464B-982D-9FE25C7C5639.jpeg
    695.7 KB · Views: 156
  • 24C675A7-26B9-4E03-9DF5-EE2E78F963CA.jpeg
    24C675A7-26B9-4E03-9DF5-EE2E78F963CA.jpeg
    639 KB · Views: 153
  • E9BABB42-F7C8-414E-AC26-DF008FB84DD1.jpeg
    E9BABB42-F7C8-414E-AC26-DF008FB84DD1.jpeg
    729.1 KB · Views: 157
Yeah seems unusual. Maybe the rebar guy's cutter was broken. It'll be removed before they shoot the shell.

They won't tie it into the decking as that needs to be separated from the shell.

Last edited:
Reactions: texasAUtiger
Second thread that I'm seeing drywall used for the form. I know the lumber industry is outrageous, but it seems like drywall outside and with wet cement is not a good idea. Especially if the gunite shoot is delayed.

One positive I see is they taped the plumbing/skimmers to keep clean/dry. :oops:

Matt, might want to think about those trees so close to the pool. I'm sure you're looking for shade in Tx, but those leaves will probably be ending up in the pool.

Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
It looks like the rebar guys quit working in the middle of the install.

Let me expand on the severity of the safety issue with all that rebar sticking up.

NO ONE SHOULD BE WALKING ANYWHERE AROUND THAT REBAR AS IT IS! That includes people or pets. If someone trips the rebar can impale them and go right through their body. I hope that site is fenced off.

This would be viewed as a major OSHA violation on a construction site. Even the rebar crew should be putting the orange caps on the ends of exposed rebar as they install it for their own safety.

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks for all the feedback

Unfortunately they will not respond to anything even when we have brought up the safety concerns.

It is not separately fenced and we have told our kids to stay out of the area. My entire pool Build has been unacceptable in a variety of ways and we are stuck between a rock and a hard spot.

• Angry
Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
We have been sending weekly emails and calling 2-3 times a week. All is documented. We have never dealt with anything like this before with the lack of communication. We are going to start sending certified letters. Not sure if it will make a difference

After multiple phone calls that were ignored/emails/texts etc he finally called me back and sent someone out this morning to bend the rebar into the pool. At least the chances of being impaled now are lower…

While the guy was out I asked him what the rebar sticking up was for and he said it ties into the concrete decking.

Is there a specific reason they shouldn’t do this?

thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.