Pool Build - California Dreaming - 3 Years Closer

Re: Pool Build - California Dreaming

Well it looks like I am finally ready to move forward. It's been a good 90 days hiatus due to work demands and the high cost of shotcrete/gunite. In the last few months I ran all the electrical conduit and wire as well as fiber. I have about 4 laminars fed with fiber; three sheer descents with fiber lighting; 3 fire features; 2 lighted bubblers; 4 lighted water accents/spouts; one 50ft perimeter fiber lighting loop. I have at total of 3 high capacity illuminators. I also ran the electrical conduit for the 300ft to the main electrical panel of the house.

I hope to have some video or photos of the shotcrete which is tentatively scheduled for 10/29. If you can believe it a total off 100 CYs will be used. All the best to the TFP community.

Yesterday I went after work to a masonry store located near Pomona a half hour drive from the house. The staff there were very knowledgeable and accommodating to my being a home builder and newbie with little experience. As I stated earlier in this thread due to the economy pool builders, tradesmen and vendors/suppliers are willing to work with you on price and others are looking to liquidate inventories. In this case I was able to negotiate 130 bags of Hydrazzo plaster at about $12 per bag; less than half list. This cuts about $2000 off the material costs of the plaster phase of the pool. I was not going to purchase it now because it's the last phase, but the inventories being cleared would most likely not be there in 2-3 months and it was way too good of a price. The mixture is custom of 3 colors - Jamaica Mist, Pacific Blue and French Grey. It looks alot like a lighter share of Tahie Blue and should go nice with the strong colors of the tile and ledger rock of the raised bond beam. Any way the application is a bit different than plaster but I already have about 4 plasterers ready to go at about $150 per day per person. Essentially with the material and labor costs where they are for under $4k I can have a really nice plaster job over 2500 sq ft surface area. Let me know what you think. This is approximately what it will look like http://www.houstonpoolrenovations.com/m ... umb897.jpg

Very, very nice. This pool build reminds me of Henry Porter's pool. Attention to detail and make it right! Great job. I'm not sure how to link to Henry's pool build, so if someone out there is more knowledgeable, have at it! Cheers.

Thanks Dora - That's quite a compliment. I was amazed at the Henry Porter pool. While I am mostly contracting the work out (so I can't claim any where near Porter's demonstrated skill and industry), I did design the pool and am managing the project, more or less well. I also have worked a bit on the plumbing and electrical. End of month the concrete goes down. I hope that all goes well. I am using a shotcrete contractor recommended by the TFP community, so I am ever thankful of this site and its many knowledgeable members.

In about two weeks we will be shooting the concrete shell. Is there anything I should know going in? What is the best way to make sure the shotcrete guys are following best practices? The guys I have are pretty experienced but I would like :? to know what to look out for since this is a one time deal. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance to the TFP community.

spillmar said:
In about two weeks we will be shooting the concrete shell. Is there anything I should know going in? What is the best way to make sure the shotcrete guys are following best practices? The guys I have are pretty experienced but I would like :? to know what to look out for since this is a one time deal. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance to the TFP community.

PM me who you are thinking of using for the gunite if you wish and I'll let you know what I might know about them. This is pretty critical to have done correctly, and you want to make sure you have good guys!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

From what I understand talking to engineers and repair guys its important to minimize
(zero hopefully) the amount of rebound that actually makes it into the shell, especially on the seats of spas and such where its tempting to use it, as rebound shotcrete or gunite is waste and will not properly bond to the shot-in-place material, and has not been properly hydrated. This increases the risk of delamination and plaster failures that are actually failures of the concrete substrate the plaster is applied to.

As I mentioned before I am running 100 amp rated power cable 100 meters. I was wondering if I have 5x 90 degree bends I would need to install a pull box. Is the pull box buried or above ground? Also is it best to run individual wire or a SER cable. It is unfortunate the cost of copper has gone sky-high. Any advice welcome. I will have up to 5 pumps and a future pool house to power.

Not that it matters to your question, but are you running 100amp cable (#3awg) or 100amp service 100 meters?

4 90º bends is 360º so if there are 5 bends, and you're under the jursidiction of the NEC, you need a conduit body or box somewhere in the run. An LB, LR, LL, C, Tee, etc. counts as a conduit body or box. I say NEC because I'm not that familiar with the Canadian electrical code.

Not only are you going to be required to install some pull boxes or LBs, you are going to want to!. I just cant imagine pulling those big, stiff, heavy cables through 450 deg of bends without some intermediate steps. It might be possible, but gah it would be incredibly difficult and tiring.

Yes 2-2-2-4 or 3-3-3-5 cable or 2x #2 + 1x #4 + 1x #6. Cheapest price so far has been $4.50 per foot for service cable and $1.38, $.74 and $.58 per foot for #2, #4 and #6 respectively. Do I bury the pull box or have wire come up out of ground to junction box? I assume one, two max pull boxes in the run would do fine?

Our rule of thumb is no more than 200' (60m) between pull boxes in a run. I have gone as much as 300' (100m) if it's a straight run. It's your choice whether you bury it or not but since it's a residential installation I'd probably bury them. If you use 2" or 2½" conduit it'll make pulling a lot easier.

I am working now on completing my equipment. As I mentioned previously I picked up some slightly used pool equipment at some real bargain discounted prices. I have purchased 2 one year old Intelliflow VS pumps and a brand new Intelliflo VF for $450 each, the later being the best deal. I have also purchased an almost new mastertemp gas heater, 3 intellibrite lights, a used intellitouch center, a pentair spa remote (is10), a large cartridge filter, 2 intellichlor salt systems, and a slew of actuators, valves, and other items including fiber optic illuminators, Fiber lit sheer descents, laminars and lighted bubblers and lighted accents and spouts. In all I have spent about $7k on what would have cost me about $18k retail with about 75% of it new in box. Thanks to craigslist and eBay I have been able to afford what I wanted and still stay under budget. I can't wait to see all of it come together in the next few months. I am looking for one more intellibrite pool light and some perimeter fiber and basically I am done.
Only 8 days until shotcrete!!!

So 5 days to go until shotcrete. I am concerned however that I am missing something important before shooting. I would really welcome suggestions, comments. For those who shot their pool and then realized they coulda or shoulda done something, I want to hear it. On Thursday I intend to install the fiber optic bubblers heads in the sunshelf and the fiber optic accent spouts in the columns. Thanks again. If I can get a camera up I will post video.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.