Pool Build - Baltimore

My first year with a mesh as well, mine looks exactly like yours. My wife was shocked it sagged that much.

I manually check water level after each significant rain event. Now with the snow, I will check it as soon as we have some warm days with melting. I simply pull the cover back on one corner and stick the hose in and let it run.

I was quite shocked when I checked prior to this most recent storm at how clear the water was. Looked like mid summer!

SS - Thanks for the confirmation and comments on how you are handling your pool this winter. Good to hear about the water so far!

A few pics from around midnight last night during a lightning storm...

The first three are of a storm that passed us by and was about 30 miles away at the time. The last shot was taken at the same time of an incoming storm that got me moving away from the pool.

14462190834_f87225ea26_b.jpg
[/url]IMG_9798 by Snowman 10, on Flickr[/IMG]

14276703270_a254a608b5_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_9782 by Snowman 10, on Flickr[/IMG]

14276691260_a7b93571b7_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_9769 by Snowman 10, on Flickr[/IMG]

14463305365_5f861e0e02_b.jpg
[/url]IMG_9832 by Snowman 10, on Flickr[/IMG]

Thank you. Every now and then I feel compelled to create nice photos as it helps justify the outlays on photographic equipment. I enjoy the hobby.

The local NWS office commented today on the high level of electrical activity involved in that storm.

Looking forward to the hopefully hot summer ahead. Last year was too cool and wet in the Mid-Atlantic for me.

Equipment all working well this year (year two) though I am hearing a whine from our booster pump when it is off and the main pump is on. When the booster is running it may be sounding louder but I'm not sure because I use it infrequently. It would figure if there's a problem with it because that's where I wouldn't do the same again anyway. Should have just gotten a robot.

Usually I would prefer a lightning preventer to allow more swimming but in this case the generator was well-timed and prodigious.

Thank you both for the nice words.

Sometime soon I'll share a few small bumps on the road of my pool maintenance that others might learn from. But nothing that has caused us to lose any valuable swimming days. I'm shooting for no lost time accidents/incidents.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The two little bumps in the maintenance road were:

1) Over the winter, when I opened the cover corner to test the pH, and subsequently added muriatic acid, the MA added did not mix well (my cover pump with a hose recirculating water didn't cut it). This caused some rough surface. Or this is what I first thought. But after thinking about it, the roughness seemed to be above the plaster, not etched into it. So maybe it was the high pH that caused scaling. Either way it was rough. However, I bought a pumice stone and it works well to smooth it out. So now I bought a bunch of them and need to go around the pool at that level (also the level of the benches) and scrub a little.

2) This one was minor. Letting the pH climb to 8 or 8.2 one created slightly cloudy water. Add some MA (as I always am with a SWCG) and it was gone in 12 hours.

That's it. No other issues. I was smiling when reading a post by a new member about their pool store testing. I didn't even now pool stores offered testing! Ha. Never needed it.

Next up are some landscape photos then our building addition this year...

And now for our new pavillion. A few of the construction first. It was factory built and then installed by them as well. It was from Fifthroom.com. Thought about creating it all myself then changed my mind.

Ours is just the pile on the back of the trailer. Installation took 3 guys 4 hours.

IMG_9884 by Snowman 10, on Flickr

And this is the part that I couldn't really watch. I took a quick picture then had to look away until the roof panels were secure.

IMG_9898 by Snowman 10, on Flickr

- - - Updated - - -

And here is the finished product that we are enjoying...

IMG_0923 by Snowman 10, on Flickr

IMG_0924 by Snowman 10, on Flickr

IMG_0925 by Snowman 10, on Flickr

IMG_0926 by Snowman 10, on Flickr

Google just updated the pictures for our area. Ours is the rectangular pool. The picture is from late October last year and shows the autocover on. The pool was closed a few days later. The walkway straight off the far side of the pool is a set of steps that takes you down about 6' to the baseball/football/volleyball/septic reserve area. The large square is a 30' x 30' paver basketball court.

Google Earth 10-23-14 by Snowman 10, on Flickr

That google shot is neat! What a nice place you have!

Do you mow it or hire it out? We have 6.5 acres that I mow. Hubby helps some but with me being a teacher (off in the summer) I do most of it. Grab the MP3 player, ear covers and head out for a day of sun and music.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.