Pool bottom flaking off?

Windylou

Silver Supporter
May 11, 2017
Groveton, Tx
This is out of my area of expertise. But I’m hoping someone can give me some advice. I’m trying to help an elderly lady that has been taken advantage of by the pool company. She sent me these pics, it looks like the plaster(not positive it is plaster) is coming off the bottom. Yes, her pool is GREEN. When she sent me the pics, that was my first question. If you’re paying a pool company, why on earth is your pool GREEN?? Her response, it’s been that way for a few weeks bc no one has swam in it. I did see him pour shock in it yesterday. So then I’m even more livid, bc they were there YESTERDAY. She told me they pay $250 per month for them to come weekly & she’s got a green pool. Rant over, back to my original issue. I know the pool will need to be drained & repaired, does anyone have a clue what kind of cost we could expect for this? I just want to have an idea to know what prices can be trusted. I’m so bothered by the green pool & I asked if the pool guy said anything about the pieces that have come up or anything & she says nope, he didn’t even act like he saw them. Any help would be appreciated, I’m a 3 year TFP believer, but mine is above ground, so this is just out of my knowledge base.65D80FB5-F080-4175-930A-9CB93D42C4F7.jpeg9E9E5CC6-8A84-4583-8AA3-6D4DF4B75701.jpeg

Not my area of expertise. However, I do think the name of the pool maintenance company needs to be published for all to see!

That's a lot of broken plaster. It clear your friend is being taken advantage of and should terminate that pool company. Is there another company you could interview to help your friend as clearly they need some help.
It may require a complete re-plaster, although there are some products to do patch work. I found this in another thread but cannot comment on its effectiveness. Try E-Z Patch® 1 F.S. (Fast Set) White or Colored Pool Plaster Repair - E-Z Patch

Not my area of expertise. However, I do think the name of the pool maintenance company needs to be published for all to see!
Not a bad idea, I think I know who it is, but I’d like to verify it first. I have their number on my desk at work. My 18 year old daughter will be stopping by her place on Monday to get a water sample to test with our kit, she does all of our testing at home.lol. I’m very curious as to what insane levels her chemistry is going to be.

That's a lot of broken plaster. It clear your friend is being taken advantage of and should terminate that pool company. Is there another company you could interview to help your friend as clearly they need some help.
It may require a complete re-plaster, although there are some products to do patch work. I found this in another thread but cannot comment on its effectiveness. Try E-Z Patch® 1 F.S. (Fast Set) White or Colored Pool Plaster Repair - E-Z Patch
Thank you! We’re in a rural area, so we don’t have a lot of options, but there are more than one. At this point, I just want to get it repaired & then I can take care of it. We all know how much hassle it is to maintain your own pool.lol. My biggest concern with that is we’re in Texas & I believe it’s chlorine, so that could get costly. But these people are an absolute joke. They actually told her she should just drain it since she doesn’t use it. She’s 76 & no, she doesn’t swim in it. But she loves it. She loves to look at it & that’s all that matters, she’s paying you for a service. Ugh. I am so frustrated with these people.

Replastering can cost $5K - $10K. A woman in her 70s who does not swim in the pool should not spend that kind of money on a pool she has no use for. Her spending even $3,000 a year tor pool services is questionable.

If the pool is not leaking then the plaster is just a cosmetic problem. She needs a new pool service who can clear the algae and keep the water looking and smelling good.

Leave the pool problems for the next homeowner.

Replastering can cost $5K - $10K. A woman in her 70s who does not swim in the pool should not spend that kind of money on a pool she has no use for. Her spending even $3,000 a year tor pool services is questionable.

If the pool is not leaking then the plaster is just a cosmetic problem. She needs a new pool service who can clear the algae and keep the water looking and smelling good.

Leave the pool problems for the next homeowner.
Thanks, that was my main concern, was it an actual problem or just aesthetics. It’s not a financial issue, it’s more of a being taken advantage of issue.

She'll need to empty the pool and get the delaminating plaster fixed. If it's just one or two places, it should be around $500 (if you empty and refill the pool). Then you have the cost of water for refilling the pool. If it's multiple areas, she may be looking at a complete replaster.

If the rest of the surface is badly stained, she might consider a mild acid wash while the pool is empty.

And fire the existing pool company - find someone else.

Reactions: Windylou
It's my understanding the plaster is the water barrier, while gunite/shotcrete is not water proof. So with that much plaster delamination, I would think she is losing water. Any idea if she has an autofill on it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It's my understanding the plaster is the water barrier, while gunite/shotcrete is not water proof. So with that much plaster delamination, I would think she is losing water. Any idea if she has an autofill on it?
I don’t believe she does. I’m planning to go out on Tuesday to look at her equipment. She says the pool company has told her they won’t service her equipment at all anymore by she won’t move the equipment. Given, it does look like the equipment may be sitting higher than it should. But it was already installed there when they bought the house 23 years ago & now it’s suddenly an issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.