Pool bonding, Grounding

Jul 7, 2016
Lizella, GA
I wonder how many pools meet this standard? How many meet section 680.26(C)?

2011 NATIONAL ELECTRICAL CODE & SPS 316
SWIMMING POOL WIRING, NEC ARTICLE 680
680.5 GFCI’s that are required may be either breakers or receptacle type.
680.7 Max. cord length for a pump motor is 3’ except for storable pools.
680.8 Overhead wire clearance is min. 10’ horizontal from the pool wall.
680.10 Underground wiring less than 5’ from pool needs to be in approved conduit.
680.12 A means of disconnection such as a switch or plug must be within sight of the equipment served.
680.21(A)(1) Branch circuits for pump motors shall be in rigid, intermediate or non metallic conduit or MC cable. UF cable is not allowed because the equipment ground must be insulated. Exceptions apply where wiring is on or within buildings. Flex is allowed at the pump motor.
680.22(A)(1)Receptacles for pump motors between 6’ to 10’ from the pool wall must be locking type, grounded, single outlet and GFCI protected. 680.22(A)(2) Other Receptacles shall be at least 6’from the pool wall and GFCI protected.
680.22(A)(3) At least one general purpose receptacle from 6’ to 20’ away is required for pools at 1& 2 family homes and other dwelling units.
680.26 Perimeter bonding and water bonding is required for permanent aboveground pools and inground pools. A minimum #8 AWG copper wire (ground ring) must be installed around the pool 4” to 6” below grade, 18” to 24” from the pool and connect to the pump motor, heater and the pool water.
680.26(B) 4 Point bonding is not required to the vertical uprights of pools with Vinyl Liners as it is considered a nonconductive material. “For nonconductive pool shells, bonding at 4 points shall not be required”
680.26(C) The pool water must be bonded to at least 9 sq” of metal. This may be accomplished by:
1. Bonding to a pool water heater.
2. Installing a metal pipe nipple in the water circulation system so a ground strap may be attached to it.
3. Other approved methods.

680.30 Storable pools (temporary pools) do not need water bonding or a ground ring. They shall be provided with a GFCI receptacle with a weather proof cover to allow attachment of the factory installed pool pump cord. The receptacle shall be at least 6’ from the pool. Extension cords shall not be used.

My pool installed in 2014 does not meet the requirements of 680.26 in my first post. I did not have anything in the water bonded. May have been contributing factor to my recent near lightning strike that fried (no visible damage) my circuit board. Just wondered how many other older pools that may not meet newer code.

My pool installed in 2014 does not meet the requirements of 680.26 in my first post. I did not have anything in the water bonded. May have been contributing factor to my recent near lightning strike that fried (no visible damage) my circuit board. Just wondered how many other older pools that may not meet newer code.
Bonding really doesn't deal with lightning strikes. Bonding is there so that any conductive surface within reach of the pool is at the same "potential". If the water, ladder, fence and everything else are "bonded" together there can be no electrocution. Electrocution requires surfaces to be at different potential, thus allowing the current to flow thru you when you are standing in the water and grab something metal that is out of the water, like a fence.

Lets imagine two scenarios (I'll ignore GFCI and other stuff for the examples)-

A power wire falls on a fence next to the pool. It energizes the fence to 110v. The fence is not bonded to the pool. As you exit the water you grab the fence. As everything is not bonded, the current begins to flow thru your body to the water. You are electrocuted.

The same thing, a power wire falls on a fence next to the pool. It energizes the fence to 110v, but everything is bonded together. The fence, the pool shell, the water, the pool deck, the ladder and so on. This time, when you exit the water and grab the fence nothing happens. Why? Because with bonding the current cant flow because it is already in all the items.

This is very simplistic, but conveys the theory.

Reactions: MyAZPool
Power surges thru the electrical system can take out boards. We see this all the time around here in the late fall when people fire up their furnaces for the first time. I am expecting at least 10-12 calls this fall for non working furnace due to a bad board and I am willing to bet at least half of them are due to lightning.

Dan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.