Gold Supporter
May 22, 2018
Elmhurst, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Looking to purchase a cordless pool vacuum to use for "touch ups" in areas the robot misses. There are three I have in mind... Pools Blaster Max ($184) Pool Blaster Max CG ($299) and Pool Blaster Volt FX8. Does anyone have experience with these? Will be using it for an indoor and outdoor pool. I believe the Max CG (Commercial Grade) is more powerful than the Max, but wondering if it is worth the extra price. Any thoughts/ recommendations on these cordless pool vacs are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have the MAX Li.
They're all probably lithium ion by now. That's what the Li meant. It's still doing well going on 5 years. I had the ni-cad battery version before that and it stopped working after year 2 due to moisture getting inside. This version didn't seem to seal up very well compared to how they are now.

The standard one would work well I think.

Reactions: JPMorgan
I have the PB max, which is purchased back in 2021. It worked well for the first couple of seasons, but when I tried it recently the suction power appears to be way down. I will have to check to see if something is going on.

I was just looking at these, my polaris doesn't get to the steps and curious how they work.
Just got the Pool Blaster Max CG (Commercial Grade). Have tried it a couple times in our indoor pool and it seems to work well. Outdoor pool isn’t open yet, so haven’t tried it in the outdoor pool yet. Will report back once I have a chance to try it in the outdoor pool. One thing I don’t particularly like is that you are not supposed to leave the battery attached to the charger once it is fully charged. They say it could damage the battery. I am in a condo and the pool equipment is kept in the Clubhouse so it’s a little inconvenient to keep an eye on the battery/charger and unplug it after it’s fully charged. If you have any specific questions about this vacuum , I’ll try to answer them.

Reactions: markayash
I charge my PB Max on a timer. I give it 4 hours of juice each night which suffices for my use.

I find the charger connection to be the most annoying thing about it. I find it difficult to get the charger plugged in right.

Reactions: markayash
Pools Blaster Max ($184) Pool Blaster Max CG ($299)

I've owned BOTH of those. Wish I would have gotten the Max CG from the start.

I borrowed a friends Pool Blaster Catfish the past couple season to use on my little Intex pool. I thought it did an amazing job. Now that I've put in a proper 21' AGP I ordered the Max Li. Can't wait to give it a spin.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I charge my PB Max on a timer. I give it 4 hours of juice each night which suffices for my use.

I find the charger connection to be the most annoying thing about it. I find it difficult to get the charger plugged in right.
Got my timer for the Pool Blaster charger. Seems to work great. Great solution! Thanks.

I agree on the charger connection... it's kind of a nuisance.

Here's the timer I got. Very simple.

Reactions: Ticojpunk
I've got a question for you all. We're looking for a small cleaner for the tanning ledge and steps. We need one that works in about 12" of water. In looking on Amazon most need to have the motor unit submerged. Not sure they would work in shallow water. Anyone have suggestions?
thanks

We're looking for a small cleaner for the tanning ledge and steps. We need one that works in about 12" of water. In looking on Amazon most need to have the motor unit submerged. Not sure they would work in shallow water. Anyone have suggestions?
I have the Pool Blaster Max. Its intake must be submerged, but the top of its body can be a bit above water.

When I vacuum my steps, I start at the bottom and work my way up, so the intake stays underwater at all times. Starting from the top would suck air. I can still vacuum the top step, being careful not to lift the unit out of the water.

Is the PB Max too big to also use in our free standing hot tub or is there a different/smaller head ? We seem to get a lot of sand in the tub from the patio and I was trying to get something that is 'dual function' for the pool as well.

Reading this thread and looking at some of the links made me wonder if there is a vac head that would work with my booster pump?
I saw a couple that do the vortex with garden hose, but wondering if there's something that would bag the trash and fit on the end of a poll like the cordless vacs or brush?
I really only need it at opening to get out the pile of dead worms and silt, so I don't stir things up too much.

I had a blaster Max Li... worked for 2 seasons and water penetrated the switch (also the charge port). The company sent me parts to replace myself... they knew this part of the unit was a failure point. so I basically had to rebuild the unit... but it was free and easy to do... that worked another 3 seasons and this year it failed... I opened it up since I was familiar due to the rebuild... low and behold water in the motor compartment.... not obvious where seepage came from this time. way out of warranty period... am gonna email them anyway to see... its too bad... it works very well when it works... and even if its a throw away unit, I'd be ok with 2-3 seasons if it wasnt over 300$. Torn about what to replace it with. Thoughts are maybe get a new one, but before first use, take it all apart and silicone the Crud out of all seams and seals... sigh... Have read all over the internet of people with similar problems. I noted when I did the rebuild the new parts they sent were of higher quality... but still didnt last... its a tricky thing to do when things are likely made in china to lower standards... i will mention that the battery compartment is a sub compartment of the engine compartment and it was bone dry... so I now have 2 good batteries!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.