Pool Beam failure? - Options?

Jul 25, 2010
Folks,
I believe this to be some form of Pool Beam failure? This has been going on for some time. The large gap between the deck and the coping spans an area of about 5 ft. Beyond the 5ft the rubberized strip between the deck and the coping is sound and hasn’t moved since being put down 17 years ago.
On the pool water side, the top part of the concrete substrate is actually pushed forward and has taken the tile off.
So…..options….
  • Fix it before it may crack the pool itself? Ie: It hasn’t finished doing is dastardly work yet.
or
  • Chip the concrete away, make it flush refit the tiles and move on as it’s released the pressure and shouldn’t get any worse.
Or…..?
I’d like to hear from those who have had this issue, what they did to fix it and the rough cost.
Thank you all.

Attachments

• 20190526_152139_resized.jpg
    20190526_152139_resized.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 143
  • 20190421_144158_resized.jpg
    20190421_144158_resized.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 140
Looks like the mud cap on top of the bond beam is being pushed forward into the pool. After reading through the OP's post history it seems that they're in the Houston area. My best guess is there's swelling clay/expansive soil behind the bond beam there, and the mud cap wasn't very well bonded to the bond beam. Removing a few pieces of coping would allow further investigation.

Agree and I see the seal behind the coping has failed letting water in. When expansive soils absorb water they swell especially if they have been dry for years. It's a major project to open up and clean up and repair right, were talking deck tile and plaster most likely maybe not plaster if your lucky. Or first on your list, clean up and patch and see what it does, seal deck too

Thank you all. Sure enough it's Houston, so I've been thinking it's a result of the clay or at least that is playing into it. I can try and get a bigger picture but the deck to coping widening is over about a 5ft length. Beyond that the seal is tight all around the pool,so I'm assuming no movement there, tile is good elsewhere and coping not cracked. I'm thinking if it has done its worst then I can patch it and retile but what I'm concerned about is if these sorts of things keep going and I end up with cracked plaster. I guess I'll get an estimate from a reputable pool builder and go from there. I could try a patch, reseal and then watch it?
Also I have thin set for tile but what should I use for the concrete holes?

Thanks

To properly assess such cracking more photographs are required. Please post a photo showing the entire zone of cracking including surrounding pavement surfaces. The coping may be arching due to expansive forces.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.