Hwmeador

May 8, 2022
Ft worth, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I'm sure this has been asked a hundred times but I'm trying to get a gut check on the process I am following to get my new pool in check.

I purchased a home with an existing pool in May 2022. The pool is only 2 years old and is in good shape. The previous homeowner was doing the servicing of the pool. It looks like he was using Tri-Chlor tablets through a feeder and also a Nature 2 Express Mineral cartridge. I immediately purchased the TF100 test kit. The problem is after purchasing the home I was not moving in for 1.5 months to where I can take care of the pool so I hired a local pool company to temporarily maintain the pool until I can get to the home and properly maintain the pool. So this is problem #1 but I didn't have much choice other than to just let the pool sit.

First service on May 20 test results:
PH 8.2, Alk 180, Chlorine 1, Calcium 360, CYA 140
May 27 test results:
PH 8, Alk 100, Chlorine 10, Calcium 360, CYA 140
June 3 Test Results:
PH 7.8, Alk 100,Chlorine 10, Calcium 360, CYA 150

After the May servicing they said they wanted to drain and refill the pool entirely to eliminate the CYA as they could not maintain the pool with the CYA that high, especially since they plan to use Tri-Chlor for their strategy. At that time I said no as I didn't want to drain the entire pool and refill on my well. What I did say was I would do a series of drain downs (steps) and refill over time. Last night 6/9/22 I started that and drained out ~ 1.5 feet which might be 1/3 the volume or less and have been refilling. They came out and tested the water today:

June 10
PH 7.8, Alk 160, Chlorine 9, CYA 110

According to my calculations this appears to be working correctly. I expect once the pool finishes filling it should bring the CYA down even further as it dilutes. I went ahead and replaced the cartridges in my filter so they are clean upon startup.

Immediately following this drain down I will deal with the alkalinity to bring it into check. According to the rules I shouldn't try to SLAM with my CYA this high.

So is my strategy acceptable?
-Complete 1-2 more partial drain downs to get CYA in check
-Fire Pool company and begin TFP method with Bleach

Any other thoughts or guidance? FYI when I mentioned to the pool company I had planned to service myself with bleach they went on a rant about TDS and how I will need to drain and refill all the time with that. It felt very much like they were trying to convince me to stay with them but I haven't been impressed thus far. They already tried to "pre-treat" with algecide (which I stopped). The water is clear and clean.

Pool Specs ~20,000 gal
Gunite, Cartridge filter
Jandy Variable Speed pump
It has iAqualink where everything is run on an app on a schedule. The pump is currently running for ~10 hours a day at lower speed and the polaris kicks in for 2 hours and cleans. Pool has two small water features or waterfalls (Scuppers).

Don't worry about your TA level. Just maintain your pH in the 7's.

What is the pH and TA of your fill water?

The No Drain Water Exchange described in Draining - Further Reading will use less water then your draining cycles. Match the drain flow out fo the pool with whatever fill rate your well can provide.

You are doing fine.

Consider getting a SWG and then you only need to get your CYA down to 70-80 and it will be set for the SWG.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.