Pool Balance

Tif Ling

Sep 27, 2021
Kansas City, KS
Good afternoon.

I'm a new homeowner and the house came with the pool. Pool is outdoor inground vinyl, 27000 gallons, with sand filter.
I opened the pool in the beginning of the summer but due to the house reno kinda neglected it. I have cleaned (slammed) it in the beginning and retained the chlorine levels above 5 - I have an automatic dispenser for 3' chlorine tablets. I also mopped and vacuumed it periodically to ensure there is not too much trash inside.
Recently I was able to pay it more attention. I ordered the TF-100 and here are the numbers I got:
FC = 4
CC = 0
PH =<6.8
TA = 0
CYA = 100+
I didn't measure other levels since they are not relevant for my type of pool.

I'm aware that I need to increase the PH, TA, and decrease CYA.
I'm planning to close the pool soon so I let winter rains/snow take care of CYA levels. But do I need to add more chlorine to balance it out?
Do I increase TA first, PH second or other way around?
What would the appropriate order of adding chemicals?
Also, I read upon the recommended pool chemicals but I couldn't find the the proportions? Like, how much Borax Natural Laundry Booster I need to add to raise pH by 0.1 in 10000 gallons of water? Is there a link or calculator available?

Thanks you in advance for your advice!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: There i no sense adjusting any chemicals with a CYA that high. Keep in mind that winter accumulations of snow/rain might lower the CYA a little if you have to drain water, but CYA doesn't dilute. Your best option right now would be to exchange some water to get the CYA down under 100, then let the winter weather handle the residual elevated CYA. To help you with the CYA, you can use the link below and start at Step #8 to perform a diluted CYA test. You might be surprised to see how high the CYA really is. In addition, remove any tablets now. They are increasing the CYA even more. Just use liquid chlorine or regular bleach to increase the FC. Once the CYA is under 100, more ideally under 70, then you can properly balance everything else.

Welcome to the forum.
First thing is to raise the TA. At zero, your pH is 4.5 or lower and you are destroying your liner.
Add soda ash in steps until you can get a TA of 50+

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.