Pool at 93 and is too hot! What to do....

Ok I’m going to try that now. You mean to close off one of the return jets right?

oh! Quick question. Once I close off the other return jet (I have 3). This would leave only one return jet in full operation. How is the pool water going to mix?
I’ll have the waterfall return jet
The closed off return jet
The normal return jet

here’s how it looks now. Should I plug the third one too. Therefore there would be two return jets pluged. The reason I ask is because my psi is still below 20.View attachment 151014View attachment 151015View attachment 151016
Do you have all your return jets plugged? How will the pool get proper circulation then.

Can someone help me with this question!!!!

1) viewing the picture, I was able to get my psi up by closing one of my 2nd return valve (Psi from 15 to 17). To increase this pressure, I’ll have to close the 3rd return valve. My question here is:
How would the pool water mix with one return valve closed and the other with the waterfall. Since I only have 3 return valves, only one will be fully functioning if I go this route (which I have)

2) viewing the picture, I think the pressure of the waterfall looks good now. Any suggestions?

93 deg pool in MI ? Really? In AZ mine can top out at 94-95 and it is FULL sun all afternoon, and 110 deg for days on end..... Last summer we finally added a shade sail over part of the deeper end to help some. I do have a built-in spray nozzle/aerator on the pool edge, and a waterfall. I'll run both overnight in mid summer to help reduce pool temps. Ice and a water hose do next to nothing to cool the water.

How would the pool water mix with one return valve closed and the other with the waterfall. Since I only have 3 return valves, only one will be fully functioning if I go this route (which I have)
I think you are going to have to make a choice between cooling and filtration. My suggestion would be to run your pumps longer to accommodate both. Run the pumps with the waterfalls in for a certain amount of time, and then with the return jets open for filtration. You will get more heat transfer at night when its cool, but more evaporative cooling during the day when its hot (assuming a low humidity, what's your humidity in that part of MI). You'll have to experiment with what works best.
OR
you can bottle your hot water up and send it to me. My pool stays cold all the time. With the giant trees around me my pool is at 74 right now and the air temp is pushing 100!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mendy48
2) viewing the picture, I think the pressure of the waterfall looks good now. Any suggestions?
Don't forget you are circulating the water with your pool cooler so you are not "capped off" completely if you plug the other nozzle What is your pump rpm?

I am trying to help your get your pool cooled down as rapidly as possible which to me would be all nozzles capped of, pump pressure up around 25-30 and hopefully your spray 15-20 feet in the air. The longer the water stays airborne, the more effective evaporation will be.

If you like, run it like it is tonight and tomorrow and see if your pool temp drops........it may be enough but I would like to see the spray higher.

Reactions: Mendy48
Don't forget you are circulating the water with your pool cooler so you are not "capped off" completely if you plug the other nozzle What is your pump rpm?

I am trying to help your get your pool cooled down as rapidly as possible which to me would be all nozzles capped of, pump pressure up around 25-30 and hopefully your spray 15-20 feet in the air. The longer the water stays airborne, the more effective evaporation will be.

If you like, run it like it is tonight and tomorrow and see if your pool temp drops........it may be enough but I would like to see the spray higher.

okay! I’ll run it as it is and see if it cools it down rapidly tonight and tomorrow. If it’s not enough, I’ll have the spray higher.

Mmmm I’m not sure what my pump rpm is. How do I find that out?

since my water is circulating now with only one return jet capped off, where should I be adding my chemicals now... the only return jet that is exposed is in the shallow end and I never use that to add chemicals. Or maybe I can add it where the waterfall is in the deep end?

btw, what size drill bit did you use for your waterfall If you still have one? I’m not sure if that makes a different with the height/length of the spray.

Okay... I just added my LC to the shallow end (return jet) and at the paremetets near the waterfall. I then used my brush to manual mix the pool water just as a precaution. I think I’m set with adding chemicals with the waterfall running.

ITMT, I’ll let the waterfall run tonight and tomorrow, and see how the pool temp does. So far, it’s gone down from 93 to 89. It went down 1 deg more after the waterfall was installed this afternoon. It will be cool tonight so I’ll let my waterfall run all night and check the temp tomorrow morning. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Mmmm I’m not sure what my pump rpm is. How do I find that out?
Sorry. I thought you had a vs pump. Your pump rpm is irrelevant but it 3450 if you want to know.

Interesting to see how well it works as is. I use 1/8 drill for the hole size as I remember.

93 deg pool in MI ? Really? In AZ mine can top out at 94-95 and it is FULL sun all afternoon, and 110 deg for days on end..... Last summer we finally added a shade sail over part of the deeper end to help some. I do have a built-in spray nozzle/aerator on the pool edge, and a waterfall. I'll run both overnight in mid summer to help reduce pool temps. Ice and a water hose do next to nothing to cool the water.

How do you survive?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Jeff J...It's just a matter of what you're used to. Here in southeast Texas it's hot and humid (but not all year--only from about March to November. The rest of the year it's warm and humid or cool and humid.) :cool: Our summer temp of 95 along with humidity to match, I guarantee is more draining of energy than 110 in the desert. Evaporative cooling is nearly impossible. When I finish mowing my yard, everything I have on is soaked with perspiration from my shirt collar to my socks! However...we might wonder how you survive winter in New York. I still have photos of us outdoors on Christmas day when I was a kid, in short sleeved shirts. And that was in the 1950's (before we had "global warming.") How awful it would have been to get a new bicycle for Christmas and not be able to ride it that day. It's what you're used to.

Reactions: 68350 and Jeff J.
Jeff J...It's just a matter of what you're used to. Here in southeast Texas it's hot and humid (but not all year--only from about March to November. The rest of the year it's warm and humid or cool and humid.) :cool: Our summer temp of 95 along with humidity to match, I guarantee is more draining of energy than 110 in the desert. Evaporative cooling is nearly impossible. When I finish mowing my yard, everything I have on is soaked with perspiration from my shirt collar to my socks! However...we might wonder how you survive winter in New York. I still have photos of us outdoors on Christmas day when I was a kid, in short sleeved shirts. And that was in the 1950's (before we had "global warming.") How awful it would have been to get a new bicycle for Christmas and not be able to ride it that day. It's what you're used to.

Absolutely, you adapt to the weather where you live. A lot of New Yorkers retire down South to escape the winter. Or become snow birds. Remember, though, New York is the same latitude as Portugal, so even we're not considered cold by Europeans! And the last few winters have been mild. I do like having seasons, but I love to visit down south. And you get to use your pool all year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.