Pool at 93 and is too hot! What to do....

Mendy48

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2018
Midland, MI
With the hot wave of heat going through Michigan, we are seeing higher than normal temperature. With that said, my oasis is hot to swim in (93). I tried cooling it down with a water hose, but to no success. It went down a degree. What do people usually do in situations like this. My pool gets FULL SUN all day long and it’s hot outside. 🤦🏽‍♀️ What to do 🤷🏽‍♀️. Should I get bags of ice? 🤷🏽‍♀️.

Dave had alot of success with his, and so have other people so maybe you can luck out too.

Well! It looks like I’m going to have to buy ice for now and use a water hose in the pool. The article I read Above will requires some days to accomplish. Kids want to swim today and I’m trying to cool the temp down for them. You think my suggestion will help for today’s swim?

Last edited:
Dave had alot of success with his, and so have other people so maybe you can luck out too.
Oh wow! Ok. I think I’m going to do that. Have to get the supplies I need from the pool store. Not sure if I can do this on my own but I’ll try.

Oh wow! Ok. I think I’m going to do that. Have to get the supplies I need from the pool store. Not sure if I can do this on my own but I’ll try.
Bring the threaded parts of the return with you to a plumbing supply place along with a crude drawing. They will be happy to hand pick the parts you need and possibly even slap them together for you.

Reactions: Mendy48
I made a cheapy fountain that fits into my pool sweep outlet.. the kids like jumping through the sprinker like effect into the pool...

Another thing is to block the thing that is heating it... the sun. 🌞Do you have any options for putting an awning over the pool? Some people have gotten quite creative with sun shade sails type awnings.
Search the forum for Shade Sail... here's one:

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Mendy48. Read that post again.....carefully. rphpool is suggesting to you ice will not work. It won't (unless you own a bank.....and it will have to be a big one)
Ahhhhh.... just re-read it. LOL. I’m going with the suggestion from the article that was originally posted For me. I kind of want to swim now and so do the kids. The kids don’t care, but I can’t swim in a pool that hot. I’m going to drain some of the pool water and refill it with water from the hose. It’s 12pm now and kids won’t be swimming till well after lunch.

I’m also going to invest my time in doing one of the following from the TFP article for future cases like this...
1 Aeration and Misting Water
2 Heat Pump Chiller Mode (Don’t have that on my pool heater, so that’s out of the question)
3 Glacier Pool Coolers
4 A Cheap Pool Cooler
5 Polaris Socket Cooler

Got it done...used the cheap pool cooler option. Took a while for me to figure out what to get. This is what I got:
Two 1.5” elbow
1.5” thread pvc insert (smooth & threaded)
Reducer 1.5-3/4” adopter
Glue
Cap 3/4”
I’m sure I got something else, but I can’t remember right now.

here are my results below. I just don’t know how to get the pressure of the water going trough the return jet stronger... or maybe that’s just how my filet pressure

B97A9AEC-3803-45E8-934B-407797226338.jpeg

Last edited:
Yeah, you don't have enough flow or elevation to do too much good. You need to cap off your other returns.

You can unscrew the eyball fittings on ,ost pools and screw in a threaded pvc pipe and the glue/put a cap on that. Water should be at LEAST 10-16 feet high to do much good.

Once you get capped off, then run your vs pump with a target of about 30 psi. It will actually take less electricity and get the water up in the air high enough to start the evaporation process. Don't worry about the high pressure......30 is harmless when it is on purpose.

Yeah, you don't have enough flow or elevation to do too much good. You need to cap off your other returns.

You can unscrew the eyball fittings on ,ost pools and screw in a threaded pvc pipe and the glue/put a cap on that. Water should be at LEAST 10-16 feet high to do much good.

Once you get capped off, then run your vs pump with a target of about 30 psi. It will actually take less electricity and get the water up in the air high enough to start the evaporation process. Don't worry about the high pressure......30 is harmless when it is on purpose.
Ok I’m going to try that now. You mean to close off one of the return jets right?

oh! Quick question. Once I close off the other return jet (I have 3). This would leave only one return jet in full operation. How is the pool water going to mix?
I’ll have the waterfall return jet
The closed off return jet
The normal return jet

here’s how it looks now. Should I plug the third one too. Therefore there would be two return jets pluged. The reason I ask is because my psi is still below 20.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
Do you have all your return jets plugged? How will the pool get proper circulation then.

Last edited:
Did you turn off your waterfall? If that runs through your main pump that should give enough pressure for the fountain cooler (I am making some assumptions that your WF can be turned off separately and is not on its own pump)
I just setup the water fall by buying pvc installment and booking it up to my return jet. The only way the waterfall will turn off is if I turn off my pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.