Pool and Vacation

Sanford35000

Jun 23, 2021
Sanford NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
I'll be going on vacation for 5 days in a few weeks and don't want to run the pump while away. The pump is hard wired and doesn't have a timer, so I just worry about something bad happening with the pump if it's left running constantly.

The pool is balanced and crystal clear. It's a 35,000 gallon concrete pool.

I was thinking about dosing with Polyquat 60 a couple of days before leaving, bringing chlorine up to shock level the night before, putting (3) 3" trichlor tabs into 2 different chlorine floaters (6 tabs total) and placing a sump pump in the pool on a timer set to run for 1 hour twice per day just to provide some minimal circulation.

I anticipate temperatures to be in the high 80's to low 90's for the duration of the trip, and the pool is in full sun from about 9AM until 6PM.

Does anyone have any comments, suggestions or alternative ideas?

I doubt you'll have any problems leaving the pump running for 5 days. My pump runs 24x7. Your idea sounds fine to me, however.

I wasn't planning on running the "regular" pool pump. That's my concern.

I'm considering putting a submersible sump pump into the pool and running for a couple of hours each day using a timer.

I wasn't planning on running the "regular" pool pump. That's my concern.

I'm considering putting a submersible sump pump into the pool and running for a couple of hours each day using a timer.

My point was that there is no concern running your regular pump. They are designed to run 24x7. But if you decide on your other plan, I don't see any issues with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.