Pool almost full. I don't THINK I need to slam...advice?

oimamlion

May 19, 2019
Sabula, Iowa
Our 16x32 rectangular AG Intex is almost full at last. We probably have about 6 hours to go. It is filling from our creek, running through the sand filter. The water is pretty murky, sort of greenish brown. I'm sure that's to be expected. Couple of questions: Should we start filtering the water? Because we are using the sand filter to filter as the water comes in, we haven't been able to. Since we are so close, we could switch to just a duda filter on the incoming water and start actually running the pump and filter.

From what I've read here, I don't think I need to SLAM. FC dropped from 3.4 to 2.5 overnight, but there was an increase in water volume, so I don't think we have an algae problem. Reasonable?

When should we start adding salt? Here's our latest test results:

FC 2.5 - added 27 oz or 12.5% chlorine, aiming for 5 ppm
CYA - 30 - probably a pound or less still in the sock
pH - 7.7 - added 45 oz dry acid, aiming for 7.4
TA - last tested yesterday - 325

Once the pool is full and you have circulated it / swam in it for a few hours then take a sample and test. Do the CC test to.

+1 what mknauss said.

Then, after your test results, SLAM the pool..... algae came in with the creek water and the amount of chlorine you have added is not enough to clear and sanitize the pool

You didn't ask but I would be VERY cautious about filling from your well. Iron is common in well water and will plague you everyday of your life if you get enough of it in the pool.

Test both the creek and well water for iron content. I would rather see you use the creek water for refill than the well.

Pool is FULL and we have one adult child crazy enough to get in at 68 degrees! Here's my test results before turning on the pump and filter.

FC - 2 ppm - added 2 cups
CC - .8 ppm
CYA - 30 ppm
pH - 7.2
TA - 300

Will test again and post after 3 hours of filter and pump running.

Reactions: Incity17
+1 what mknauss said.

Then, after your test results, SLAM the pool..... algae came in with the creek water and the amount of chlorine you have added is not enough to clear and sanitize the pool

You didn't ask but I would be VERY cautious about filling from your well. Iron is common in well water and will plague you everyday of your life if you get enough of it in the pool.

Test both the creek and well water for iron content. I would rather see you use the creek water for refill than the well.

Is there a test I can run for the iron? I'm assuming you're correct about our well. I do believe it probably has high iron, although it tastes amazing!

You can order an iron test for yourself at TFTestkits.net or you can take a sample to a pool store. Pool store test are notorious for inconsistency.

I'm not seeing the iron test on TFTestkits. Is it called something else? Here's my results from this morning. SLAM? If so, I assume I add using the non SWCG table since there's no salt in the pool yet or should we go ahead and add the salt?

FC 5.4
CC .4
pH 7.4
CYA 30

With a CYA of 30 use the non SWG table until the water is clear. After that you can raise the CYA level, add salt and start your SWG. It's easier to SLAM at the lower CYA level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just passin' through, but I noticed you're using a 25 ml sample for FC testing. If you follow the advice and begin your slam, make sure you use a 10 ml sample instead. Use one scoop of powder. Each drop will count as 0.5. You'll save on reagents and while maintaining sufficient accuracy. Instructions should be on your kit's instruction card. Good luck!

With a CYA of 30 use the non SWG table until the water is clear. After that you can raise the CYA level, add salt and start your SWG. It's easier to SLAM at the lower CYA level.

Thank you!
Just passin' through, but I noticed you're using a 25 ml sample for FC testing. If you follow the advice and begin your slam, make sure you use a 10 ml sample instead. Use one scoop of powder. Each drop will count as 0.5. You'll save on reagents and while maintaining sufficient accuracy. Instructions should be on your kit's instruction card. Good luck!

Thank you! Makes perfect sense. :)

8:15pm - FC = 10.5 - added 3 cups 12.5%

10:45pm - FC = 11 - added 2 cups 12.5%

1:00 am - FC = 12.5

So, I fully expect to have algae, considering the water source. My question is, wouldn't I expect to be losing more FC if algae was as bad as color of water suggests? It really doesn't appear to be clearing at all. What other problems and solutions could there be?

What other problems and solutions could there be?
You have dirty water with algae in it. The solution is to bring the FC up to SLAM level to kill the algae (and any other organics) and then filter your water by running the pump 24/7, backwashing and brushing as necessary. It's no more complicated than that.

Continue to SLAM (although reduce your testing to twice daily) and your pool will get clear and sanitary. It may take several days but you really have no alternative.

You have dirty water with algae in it. The solution is to bring the FC up to SLAM level to kill the algae (and any other organics) and then filter your water by running the pump 24/7, backwashing and brushing as necessary. It's no more complicated than that.

Continue to SLAM (although reduce your testing to twice daily) and your pool will get clear and sanitary. It may take several days but you really have no alternative.

Thank you! Might look better today. Should I be backwashing even if the pressure is in the green? We haven't backwashed at all since starting the SLAM because the pressure is actually better than before we started..

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.