M. Solarsystem

Gold Supporter
Apr 8, 2018
Redding, Ca
Hello comrades!
i recently took on maintenance of my pool (see sig below). Since I have had the pool, it has been impossible to maintain FC. my pool guy just couldn’t get it right. After 2 years of struggling, I figured I could save the $90 a month and do the same mediocre job as my hired hand.
Here are the results of my last analysis done via Leslie’s:
FAC: 0
TAC: 0
CH : 310
CYA: 100
TA : 70
pH: 7.6
TDS: 1000
Pho: 100

So... Leslie’s recommended draining the pool due to high CYA. I have purchased a submersible pump and am in process of draining.

My question ls (for now) are:
drain the entire pool?
next steps?

thanks for the information and looking forward to learning!

M.

My question ls (for now) are:
drain the entire pool?
next steps?
Step #1 - definitely obtain your own (proper) test kit - either a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C. I have the TF-100 and highly recommend it for its value. Don't take the pool store's tests as reliable. Yes, if the CYA is high, which it very-well could be, a good partial drain is required. From there, your own accurate test results are required so you know exactly how much water to change, and how to adjust everything from there. In addition, we'll show you how to use reasonably priced products from your local grocery store to achieve TFP-clear results. But it all starts with the test kit. We hope you will make that your #1 priority, then posts a full set of those results back here for review. Very nice to have you with us "M".

- - - Updated - - -

Please make sure to review/bookmark the vital links you see below in my signature. They will help your tremendously.

Until your test kit comes, mix pool and tap water 50-50 and see what Leslie's says the CYA is now. It should be (50 ppm ..1/2 of the 100). I bet it's not..... Knowing accurately what the CYA is will make a big difference in what you do.

m,

Welcome to TFP... a great place to find the answers to all your "Leslie's said what??" questions... :shark:

I hardly ever agree with anything that Leslie's has to say, but in this case they might not be right about the exact amount of CYA you have in your pool, but their proposed fix is right on target..

Personally, I would drain 90% of your water and just start over. It means you will have to add some CYA (Stabilizer) but I don't see that as a big issue.. Waiting until after your new test kit arrives will just set you back a few days in getting your pool back into shape.. And the odds that your CYA is well over 100 are about 10 to 1 that it is..

Good job on getting an accurate test kit.. The next thing you need to do is stay out of the Pool $tore... :p

We have a great group of people here and we will all be glad to get you pointed in the right direction...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks for all the replies so far. At the rate the pump is draining the water, it will be a few days until I am at 90% empty. I am leaning towards starting fresh, as the 2 years I’ve had the pool (not a new pool, btw, it came with the house) , my FC is almost always 0, or on the lowest end measurable. In the morning, I will test 50/50 pool/ tap water at Leslie and post those results in the afternoon. Any more pertinent information needed, let me know! Thanks again for the guidance.

I don't know how you have been chlorinating your pool, but chances are, since you had a pool guy, he was using chlorine tablets (pucks). That's the reason your CYA is so high, and I bet you'll find it's even higher when you test it with your brand new kit. After the drain and refill, stick with liquid chlorine or bleach. Don't use any solid forms of chlorine. If you have any left over, save them for when you go on vacation and can't add any chlorine yourself. Buy doing this, you'll keep the stabilizer level (CYA) fairly constant and it will make your chlorine level easier to maintain.

Yep, he was using pucks, shock, and liquid chlorine. In addition, he was putting stacks of pucks in the floater, and several pucks in the skimmer basket. He would also ask me to get bags of powder shock to put in between. Not to disparage him, my guess is the pool was out of control when we hired him. He just didn’t know how to handle it. With all those chemicals, we were still getting nil FC.

Also so to add to above questions, my CYA reading today with 50/50 tap/ pool water was still 100 according to Leslie’s.

The pool is almost half empty. I’ve been scrubbing as it drains and the dry parts are looking good.

Test kit has shipped and should be here soon.

Anything i I should do once it’s empty? It doesn’t look so bad as to warrant an acid bath/ chlorine bath, but should I do both/ either? Anything else I should do? (Besides change the light!)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Anything i I should do once it’s empty? It doesn’t look so bad as to warrant an acid bath/ chlorine bath, but should I do both/ either? Anything else I should do? (Besides change the light!)?
Not really. If you pass on the acid bath, then simply do any light work you require, make sure to clean really well behind the light, and start filling back up. That will take a day or so alone. If the water is up to the skimmer before the test kit arrives, you can start circulating water. With clean (new) water you can do two things:
1 - Add stabilizer (CYA); don't worry, you won't go through this again. Use the Poolmath calculator to determine the proper dosage. For now, let's start with a CYA goal of 30.
2 - Also use the calculator to determine an FC goal of 2-3 ppm on day one using regular bleach. On day 2 and beyond, increase the FC to about 4-5 and never let it get below 2.

About this time your test kit should arrive at which point you can run a full battery of tests and post back with those results. We'll help you more from there.
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Pool should be full in a day or so. At this point, I am adding the granular stabilizer/ sock method first? And then following up with the liquid chlorine after that? I did receive my test kit so I’ll be ready to test when the time comes.

Stabilizer going in today. According to pool calc, I need 100 oz. of dry cyanuric acid. Almost 6 lbs! Does that sound right? I don’t want to over do it and drain again.

How long should i wait wait before putting in the liquid chlorine? It’s Heathman my up here in nor Cal, and the Fam is getting antsy to jump in!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.