Pool 1 1/2 inch pipe to 2inch Help please!

Kenny02

May 4, 2021
Derby, CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone,
I have a 20 x 40 in-ground pool 33,000 gallons of water. I just purchased new hayward try start 1HP pump new sand filter and new in-line chlorinator all new equipment has a 2inch opening. I'm planning on replacing the skimmer line and both return lines since they are old and one of my return line has a cracked on it. My question is should replace the pipes with 2inch PVC or should I keep it at 1 1/2 inch? Is there any benefit of using 2inch pipes? Any answer will be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced!

Greetings Kenny02. The timing of your Q was almost identical to my 2" vx 1.5" plumbing Q. I'll share my thoughts as I think you're Q is pretty straight forward. IMO, always go with the larger pipe. It will move water easier and with a 1HP pump motor, for your size pool, the easier the better. Plus, if you're digging up the old line, might as well replace with the larger 2". The pros on this forum may correct me, but as I understand it, when you step down a line from 2" to 1.5" with an adapter, you'll loose some degree of line pressure (Bernoulli Principle effect). How much, that's for the mathematicians to solve, but in theory, you're pressure will be reduced.

Reactions: Kenny02
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.