Pondering plumbing upgrades

sean.a.hyde

Jun 5, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
My coworker just replaced his single speed 1HP Superflo with a Superflow VS. Power went from 1.4KW to <200W (at 1400RPM). Tons of flow on the skimmer still. That's fantastical!
Pretty sold on the VS upgrade. Three options
  1. Upgrade the motor on the pump I have now (1 HP single speed high pressure). Gets me the VS for about $427, re-use the existing pump head
  2. Change the unit for the SuperFlo VS. ~$700.
  3. Change the unit for the Intelliflo VS. ~$1200.
I have no other Pentair controls, but I have a Raspberry Pi that I'm playing with that monitors temp, pH and ORP (for information rather than control) and I could use that to twiddle the Digtal I/O interface of whichever pump (though, I'm not sure why).
I know the Intelliflo is higher HP, but is it really worth almost double? My pool may have higher head than my coworkers (equipment is higher and further away). So I may need to run the SuperFlo VS at a higher RPM than the Intelliflo? The Intelliflo may be more efficient, but if the SuperFlo VS is really like 200W, it would be hard to justify the $500 difference.
What about the difference in the SuperFlo VS pump head vs the Pentair Challenger pump head? Worth the $250?

cfherrman

TFP Guide
May 10, 2017
Hays, Kansas
How often do you vacuum, is your current 1 hp pump good at vacuuming, are you happy with your pump at everything but general circulation? (General circulation as you can see takes little hp)

If yes go with the ~ 1.5 hp versions of the vsp or change the motor of your pump.

If no you definitely need the 1.5 hp vsp or higher, if you just have a simple pool, like everyone, I find it tough that you would need more than 1.5 hp unless you might get roof solar or waterfalls or sprayers or......

I often hear people using 200-250 w on their vsp.

The vsp is often called a variable horse power pump, notice you are already listing it as that when you are talking about watts, so you get to dial in the exact hp you need for your pool up to a maximum of the impeller/motor hp, so I would figure out the max hp you guess you would need and choose that pump.

Also see your filters Max flowrate and compare that to the psi you run now to the pump head on your pump, not much point in getting a bigger hp if your filter is maxxed out.

sean.a.hyde

Jun 5, 2018
Pittsburgh, PA
How often do you vacuum, is your current 1 hp pump good at vacuuming, are you happy with your pump at everything but general circulation? (General circulation as you can see takes little hp)

If yes go with the ~ 1.5 hp versions of the vsp or change the motor of your pump.

If no you definitely need the 1.5 hp vsp or higher, if you just have a simple pool, like everyone, I find it tough that you would need more than 1.5 hp unless you might get roof solar or waterfalls or sprayers or......

I often hear people using 200-250 w on their vsp.

The vsp is often called a variable horse power pump, notice you are already listing it as that when you are talking about watts, so you get to dial in the exact hp you need for your pool up to a maximum of the impeller/motor hp, so I would figure out the max hp you guess you would need and choose that pump.

Also see your filters Max flowrate and compare that to the psi you run now to the pump head on your pump, not much point in getting a bigger hp if your filter is maxxed out.
Thanks Casey.

The only time I vacuum is during opening. The rest of the time I generally have the Autocover closed and that keeps out practically everything. I also have a Dolphin robot that does a great job keeping the occasional leaf, seed and bug off the bottom. Plus, I figure I can still vacuum since the new pump will be >1HP (I'll just have to run it on high for vacuuming).
I don't have any crazy features like sprayers or waterfalls. Just 2 skimmers, a floor drain (which I generally don't use) and 2 returns. My equipment is 5-10 feet above the pool, however, and I notice that whoever designed the pool spec'ed a "high flow" pump (whatever that means).
My main gripe with my current pump (aside from how much power I use) is mediocre flow -- but I think this is the filter's fault. Even without DE, my filter pressure is like 18 PSI, and that quickly gets to the low 20s. Above 25 the flow goes way down.
My plan is to replace the filter with a CC RP200 or CCP420. That should dramatically reduce the back pressure.

Looks like my current filter is rated for 72 GPM.
Here is the graph from the motor brochure:
1568032257599.png
The table on the website says to use the 'B' curve for my motor, but the chart says that 1HP motors are the 'C' curve... but I'm not sure what to do with this anyway.

For the replacement filters, again Pentair is confused. Their website (and all others) says 150 GPM for the CC RP 200 (and for the CC200 for that matter), but the brochure says 75 GPM
1568032442354.png
1568032496900.png

My intuition is that if my 1HP pump works now, and I reduce the back pressure on it by going to a cartridge filter and one that is much larger, then everything will work. I think the only question will be how low I can turn down the RPMs.

cfherrman

TFP Guide
May 10, 2017
Hays, Kansas
18 psi is 42 ft hd, so the b line is 70 gpm and the c line is 90 gpm, so your filter is not big enough for that pump and could be the reason you think it should have more flow.

You are a good candidate for a cartridge filter since you don't vaccum much and have a robot.

Either the vsp motor replacement or the new 1.5 hp vsp will probably run at the same watts for your preferred lowest speed. Granted I'm not positive on that.

Watts to move water and motor/pump efficiency decide on total watts used. If you want 200 watts of water to be moved you put in like 220 watts to move it, most pool pumps will have around the same efficiency.

See if you can change just the filter and run it with your single speed pump, see if the flow is good for your high speed if you changed the motor.