Pond Pool

So...I took my pool water to the pool place bc they read my daughter's Facebook post about how the pool chemical guy treated me and gave me a call. She figured we would be dealing with metals. Iron was 0.1 and copper was 0. So she was floored. She gave me several tubs of ph and Alkalinity as well as Metal Out and a discoloration chemical.
On my way way from there I stopped at our local hardware store (per a friend) and they tested my water. Same results. Chlorine was high. Ph and Alkalinity were low. I hadn't treated them at this point so obviously. He and my friend recommended FLOC. He felt like there were tiny sediments the filter was not able to filter. So I bought 2 bottles at $17 each. 1 to use and 1 in case it needed a 2nd treatment.
OMG! Just the difference after 1 bottle was A M A Z I N G! We vacuumed yesterday morning. By lunch...more sediments so we vacuumed again while we were building the deck.
Last night I started adding the baking soda. This morning it looks 1000% better. My water is turning blue and I can see all the way across my pool. Got a small spot to vacuum this a.m.
1st pic during fill
2nd pic yesterday a.m.
3rd pic this a.m.

20200516_090036.jpg20200523_104129.jpg20200524_080525.jpg20200524_080605.jpg

Floc is basically glue that binds small particles together. When you vacuumed did you do it to waste or through your filter? If through your filter it can really gum up the sand.

Pool stores are going to give very different advice from how we do things here. If you want to go to them, it’s fine, but know that their advice and ours aren’t really compatible with each other.

We actually have a 2nd pump that we have been using to vacuum. It just goes out onto the ground thru a pipe we connected.
Yes I am aware of the difference between TFP and pool stores. I went to the pool store to have the water tested per my husband to compare to my TF100 test kit. Everything but the chlorine was accurate. I think I stopped too early on the chlorine test. The local hardware store and our friend guided us to FLOC. She has a pool and had issues when she inherited her IGP...not pond water issues but issues. Because our numbers were better than expected (since we didn't have metals) this was suggested. The water was see thru but brown. Not like stirred up mud. Ended up being tiny sediments. I am thankful for all the advice. I am not "going with" the pool place. I was ready to start the slam with my baking soda, stabilizer, liquid chlorine, and my new $165 test kit. I don't want to have to add a bunch of chemicals which is why I joined TFP. I found the final solution to my issues at the hardware store who makes their living off, well, not pool supplies. The guy that helped me is a country boy who lives in this area. Our issue hasn't been low or high levels. It was pond water that we had to use to fill our pool up. Very few people have dealt with this. I am just grateful for a solution. Thanks for all the advice. I'm sure I will be back with a different issue soon since I am a new pool owner. Now I am going to focus on getting my levels up where they need to be. ?

We actually have a 2nd pump that we have been using to vacuum. It just goes out onto the ground thru a pipe we connected.
Yes I am aware of the difference between TFP and pool stores. I went to the pool store to have the water tested per my husband to compare to my TF100 test kit. Everything but the chlorine was accurate. I think I stopped too early on the chlorine test. The local hardware store and our friend guided us to FLOC. She has a pool and had issues when she inherited her IGP...not pond water issues but issues. Because our numbers were better than expected (since we didn't have metals) this was suggested. The water was see thru but brown. Not like stirred up mud. Ended up being tiny sediments. I am thankful for all the advice. I am not "going with" the pool place. I was ready to start the slam with my baking soda, stabilizer, liquid chlorine, and my new $165 test kit. I don't want to have to add a bunch of chemicals which is why I joined TFP. I found the final solution to my issues at the hardware store who makes their living off, well, not pool supplies. The guy that helped me is a country boy who lives in this area. Our issue hasn't been low or high levels. It was pond water that we had to use to fill our pool up. Very few people have dealt with this. I am just grateful for a solution. Thanks for all the advice. I'm sure I will be back with a different issue soon since I am a new pool owner. Now I am going to focus on getting my levels up where they need to be. ?

You've got a good test kit and as long as you stick to liquid chlorine you'll be fine!

Very few people have dealt with this. I am just grateful for a solution.
I will be learning from you on this one! I am thinking the key is the fact the water was "clear" but brown........the main thing is the ability to get the floc out of the water with OUT going through the filter.

I am so happy it is clearing up. To help you keep clearing this pool up I have a set of links for new pool owners:

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.