Polyurethane Foam as Backfill for Inground Doughboy Pool?

Carson7.6

Dec 17, 2021
California
I have an above-ground doughboy pool that was installed in the ground. Doughboy recommends backfilling around the pool with slurry. Would a polyurethane foam (the type used to fill voids under concrete) also be a suitable back fill material? Slurry is heavy and can push the walls in when being poured, even with the water in the pool up to the brim. The foam would be lightweight, and easy to cut away if needed in the future for any wall repairs. It is also waterproof.

Any thoughts?

The proper slurry mix (5 parts sand/1 part Portland cement) should not cave/ push the walls in. I don’t have a doughboy- just a cheap above ground pool - & it is buried 3ft - 1/2 way around. There was no caving or movement of the walls when backfilling with excavated dirt since the pool was filled with water.
I have never heard of anyone backfilling with foam - It sounds tumultuous & expensive if you’re referring to expanding foam.
Not to mention possibly voiding the Doughboy warranty.
The point of the slurry is that it hardens (much more than plain compacted dirt & foam) preventing wall collapse if the pool is ever drained along with providing a barrier between the pool & possible ground heaving. Not sure how the foam would fare in that situation.

Hello MDragger.....I am considering burying a Bestway pool at least part way. Do you have any photos that you could share of your pool? The construction process would be very helpful.

Thanks.....Dennis
Bestway pools are temporary pools & not designed to be buried.
I have a permanent above ground pool with steel walls.

I have an above-ground doughboy pool that was installed in the ground. Doughboy recommends backfilling around the pool with slurry. Would a polyurethane foam (the type used to fill voids under concrete) also be a suitable back fill material? Slurry is heavy and can push the walls in when being poured, even with the water in the pool up to the brim. The foam would be lightweight, and easy to cut away if needed in the future for any wall repairs. It is also waterproof.

Any thoughts?

You need to be more clear about "Slurry"

Controlled Low Strength Material (CLSM) aka Flowable Fill is cement, water, and admixtures. It is indeed heavier than an equal amount of water, and lateral pressures should be considered while placing.

Lightweight Cellular Concrete (LCC) aka Lightweight Flowable Fill, is cement, water, and a foaming agent. It is light enough that lateral pressures can, for most applications, be ignored.

Expansive foam, as you suggest, also exerts lateral pressures (that is why it can lift concrete structures, and bow window and door frames.

Also, not all foams are waterproof. High Density Closed Cell foams are. Most others are water resistant. Open cell foams are like a sponge. They will get soaked and hold water against your pool.

Water resistant is not water proof. Cement board is water resistant - you can throw it in a lake and a year later drag it out and it will still be good. However it is not water proof. If you were to build a box out of cement board and fill it with water, it will eventually weep through.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.