Gold Supporter
Oct 7, 2015
Nebo, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Happy spring! As I sit here isolating, my thoughts are expectant for summer and … the pool. Last two years I've had a persistent mustard algae problem (3 years ago I broke my wrist in the fall and fell down on many jobs, the pool being one of them). That year and the next, I followed all the shock and super-shock rules and super-cleaning and this past year I pretty much got it under control -- as long as I kept FC up to 6. Before the MA scourge hit my normal was 3-5ppm. And let me say that I'm a minimalist per TFP and it has worked wonderfully, until the MA appeared. At closing I clean and slam, and then close at about 8 or 9ppm. Every spring I open it to a clean pool -- looks like maybe I haven't vacuumed in a couple of weeks! Last year I used chlorine (liquid 10%) religiously and baking soda once or twice, and that was it. Very stable chemistry. A couple of times I got brave and let the FC drift down to 5 and in a few days, here'd come the mustard algae again. I'd clean and brush and slam at the first sight of it, and all was well, as long as FC didn't drop below 6. The guy who takes care of my pool when I'm away, formerly a pool pro in Florida, tells me I'm degrading my liner by keeping it that high. Last fall I was reading the forums and some external articles and became convinced I should add Polyquat to my chems. Advice, please, and thank you.

What is your CYA level? How are you testing your water?

Both of those pieces of information will be crucial in guiding you through a SLAM - Shock Level and Maintain - Trouble Free Pool

This site only recommends the use of Polyquat at closing, not as a regular maintenance item. If you already have algae, it does not kill it. The only way to eradicate algae is to follow a SLAM and then maintain your FC based on the Chlorine / CYA Chart - Trouble Free Pool

Last edited:
CYA 50, TA 90-100, Ph around 7.6, and I use a TF-100 test kit. I always plug my numbers in to the TFP app for SLAM/shock or MA shock. I do chlorine test every day, full test once or twice a week. Should I use Polyquat at startup?

Is this algae in question only found in certain areas (particularly shady)? Have you read this:

Your pool guy is mistaken in thinking a FC of 5 or 6 is "high".... he's probably ignoring or forgetting the effects of the CYA buffering the chlorine.

Maddie :flower:

I travel for work frequently and sometimes can't get anyone to come dose my pool. I would use tablets if my CYA could take the hit, but once it gets to the 50-60 range, I was just bringing it up to SLAM levels before I left and hoping for the best. Usually, I'd get back to algae starting to grow in the usual spots and I'd have to SLAM. I started adding a weekly dose of polyquat and while it didn't eliminate the problem (the FC was still zero when I'd get home), there was no visible growth of algae. I still went through the SLAM process, of course, but it went more quickly than before (just a day or less). Actually, it got to the point where I would just bring the pool up to SLAM level on the evening I got home, bring it back up to SLAM level the following morning and let it drift back down and call it good.

Yeah, I know that in theory the FC is eating up the polyquat and should therefore be useless. But it definitely helps in my particular situation, somehow. YMMV.

I travel for work frequently and sometimes can't get anyone to come dose my pool. I would use tablets if my CYA could take the hit, but once it gets to the 50-60 range, I was just bringing it up to SLAM levels before I left and hoping for the best. Usually, I'd get back to algae starting to grow in the usual spots and I'd have to SLAM. I started adding a weekly dose of polyquat and while it didn't eliminate the problem (the FC was still zero when I'd get home), there was no visible growth of algae. I still went through the SLAM process, of course, but it went more quickly than before (just a day or less). Actually, it got to the point where I would just bring the pool up to SLAM level on the evening I got home, bring it back up to SLAM level the following morning and let it drift back down and call it good.

Yeah, I know that in theory the FC is eating up the polyquat and should therefore be useless. But it definitely helps in my particular situation, somehow. YMMV.
Thank you! I've heard this other places but most on here are insistent/consistently against the polyquat.

Is this algae in question only found in certain areas (particularly shady)? Have you read this:

Your pool guy is mistaken in thinking a FC of 5 or 6 is "high".... he's probably ignoring or forgetting the effects of the CYA buffering the chlorine.

Maddie :flower:
Yes, I have read that. yes, the Mustard Algae always starts in the shady corner/deep end. i don't let it get far. And as I said in my original post, performed the slam/shock MA shock several times, using TFP rules. I guess maybe 6 is my correct number. Thanks for your help.

Thank you! I've heard this other places but most on here are insistent/consistently against the polyquat.

There are times we recommend using Polyquat 60. For routine pool care we find it is unnecessary and a waste of money if you follow TFP guidelines and maintain the proper FC/CYA ratios.

I am not sure what is going on with your pool that TFP routine methods are not working for you.

I suggest you start using the PoolMath app and log your test results and chemicals added and share them here. Let us follow along and see exactly what your water chemistry is and your maintenance techniques.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Again, I'll say your mileage may vary... Fortunately, mustard algae wasn't what was growing in my pool- it was just the usual green stuff. If I had a SWG, or someone who came by and fed the pool every day while I am out of town, I wouldn't have ever tried it I don't suppose.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.