Polyquat 60 vs Full SLAM

Yarzy

Bronze Supporter
Jul 16, 2020
Chalfont, PA
Hi, I am getting ready to close my pool for the first time and I had a question about polyquat 60 and SLAM. Is there an advantage/disadvantage of using polyquat 60 vs full SLAM? From what I have been told, it is half SLAM levels and polyquat 60 or no poly and full SLAM. I am trying to understand why I would pick one over the other. Can someone shed some light on this? I would be using a solid cover for my pool during the winter (no idea if that matters in your response or not).

Thanks!

Here's a previous thread for review:

You misinterpreted what you were told or the teller was misinformed.

There is NO such thing as a half SLAM. A SLAM is a process to clear your pool and essentially has a different purpose then closing.

Follow this process

Add polyquat 60 if you like but it is not mandatory.

Reactions: Mdragger88
There is NO such thing as a half SLAM. A SLAM is a process to clear your pool and essentially has a different purpose then closing.
Half SLAM *level*, not performing a half SLAM. :)

Closing at SLAM level with PQ is rumored to consume more of each, so our reccomendations for PQ users has been to close with half SLAM level per their CYA and add PQ.

What we really need is a way to test PQ levels after like we can with FC to finally put this debate to bed.

Yarz, the reason for higher than normal FC and/or PQ is to bridge the time when you close, until the water is well below algae growing temps.

Mother Nature likes to troll us all and throw one last heat wave at us after closing every year (so it seems). If you closed now either way, you'd likely be fine for the few weeks it takes for winter to officially be here. If possible, it's best to pull a corner in the deep end just before it freezes mid winter. Test and add back to how you started and that will all but guarantee you to be covered through the winter. Then open early with some residuals still in there helping.

You can easily brush the additions around the shallow end. The brush goes a long way with only a smaller area open up top. An ounce of mid winter prevention whoops a pound of springtime cure.

Reactions: Edge70
To be clear, As is mentioned in the closing article-
you raise to slam level for 24hrs & pass oclt to be sure nothing is actively growing then if you wish to use polyquat you allow fc to fall to 1/2 of slam level before adding it.
Its not raising to 1/2 slam level or raising to full slam level.
Its raise to slam & cover
Or
Raise to slam, let fc fall, add polyquat,cover.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.