Polypropylene pipe for heater exhaust

ek1

Oct 27, 2015
New York
I have a Hayward H250FDN heater (natural gas powered) installed under the deck of my aboveground pool. I have been using a 4" flexible aluminum duct (approx. 20FT long) to route the heater exhaust to another location. The pool is located on the ocean shore and the aluminum duct becomes brittle/corroded by sea water spray every year. I am trying to avoid investing $200+ into a stainless steel rigid pipe system with elbows, supports, etc. My buddy has access to free 4" Polypropylene pipe that is rated up to 230°F / 110°C. I am trying to determine if it's safe to use for heater venting.

Does anyone know the max temperature of the heater exhaust gas?

Polypropylene is not designed for hot exhaust gas. The exhaust temperature can be anywhere from 280-340F right out of the heater. It will melt or, worse, catch fire.

I have a Hayward H250FDN heater (natural gas powered) installed under the deck of my aboveground pool. I have been using a 4" flexible aluminum duct (approx. 20FT long) to route the heater exhaust to another location.
You should hire a professional.

It's not safe to just jerry rig a heater exhaust for a gas fired pool heater.

You should hire a professional.

It's not safe to just jerry rig a heater exhaust for a gas fired pool heater.
I would not say the current exhaust was jerry rigged. It was installed by a plumber and the aluminum duct had a very high temp rating. The problem is - it disintegrated over time due to salt in the air, so I am trying to replace it with something more lasting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.