Polymer or "Pool Clarifier"

dmcody

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 9, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Due to the recent storms that have rolled through my area, I'm left a pool full of turbid water. This happens once every 2 years or so, and I usually just wait for my DE pool filter to take out the sediment. However, I'm contemplating using a "Pool Clarifier" or polymer to help settle out the solids and vacuum to waste vs replacing DE media 2 or 3 times. I've never used it, is there a reason i shouldn't or should?

Last edited:
We don't normally recommend using binding agents, but if you want to use one, use clarifier and not flocculent. People have pretty decent luck with clarifiers (myself included). More issues have been reported with floc due to it either clogging up filters to not working at all.

If you do decide to use clarifier, don't be tempted to overdose the pool. "If a little is good, a lot is better" is not a rule to follow in this case. Follow the instructions and it will probably work pretty well.

I stay away from all things Clorox in pools.

Thanks. I'm just going to see how long it takes to clear by filtering. Switching the subject a bit, when do you think i should start the SLAM process? I was going to wait until i could kind of see the deep end drains just to prevent wasting money with the constant backwash's. I performed a complete clean out of the DE filter this morning and added new DE. After ~ 2 hours of run time the pressure raised 10 psi, which is when i normally backwash.

I get it, kill the problem before it starts. Thanks ajw22!

to be clear, the picture was taken just after a severe thunderstorm dumped turbid stormwater runoff into my pool. Yes it flooded the pool into the automatic cover box.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.