Polyaspartic pool deck (NoVA/DC)?

dc935

Jul 16, 2009
Northern VA
Tried searching, but does anyone have feedback on Polyaspartic pool deck? Getting prepped for a big remodel and last thing left to decide is pool deck option. Current concrete pool deck is ~1k sqft around pool. The concrete 20+years old, but is in fantastic shape, plus already drilled for covers and baby fence.

Looking to hopefully just freshen it up w/o having to demo perfectly good concrete and spend $10k (demo estimates) on that before I even get started with decking material (pavers or travertine). I have Polyaspartic garage flooring and its held up 13+ years and still looks great. Hoping some folks on TFP have feedback as pool deck coating and how it holds up to Chlorine or Salt pools. Thanks.

Welcome to Posting on the forum!

Have never heard of this. Do you have more information?

Its that same stuff that's in tons of garages (mine included) with the flakes, then sealed etc. Its either this or the Sundek classic texture. Poly is ~$7-8 sqft. and 15yr warranty. Waiting on Sundek est.

Example gallery: Polyaspartic

Didn't realize it could be applied on pool decks, and surprised no one here has any experience with it. It def looks nice and no demo of existing concrete needed if its in good shape.

I finished my garage floor in Polyaspartic just last year, it’s fantastic! However, when wet it can get quite slippery but I absolutely love it. Just not sure how durable it would be in with standing the elements, depending on where you are located.

I would think that it would be quite durable. However, I would be worried about it being slippery when wet. It gets quite slick in garages... I wonder if you could add sand or an abrisive to give it some texture/grip?

@dc935 - what is your location?
In addition to how slippery it may get, what about heat retention from the sun beating on it?

I have a sprayed on acrylic lace texture and a product called Xcel Deck as a top coat. It has held up well in the intense AZ heat. The Xcel Deck top coat does need to be reapplied from time to time. Presently, I am over 12 years on the present coat - possibly time to recoat next year. There are other manufacturers that offer top coat as well.

I would think that it would be quite durable. However, I would be worried about it being slippery when wet. It gets quite slick in garages... I wonder if you could add sand or an abrisive to give it some texture/grip?
They said all exterior applications gets a silica sand broadcast on the clear coat for anti-slip. I agree with the durability, but def know from experience that my garage polyaspartic floor is a bit slippery when wet.

@dc935 - what is your location?
In addition to how slippery it may get, what about heat retention from the sun beating on it?

I have a sprayed on acrylic lace texture and a product called Xcel Deck as a top coat. It has held up well in the intense AZ heat. The Xcel Deck top coat does need to be reapplied from time to time. Presently, I am over 12 years on the present coat - possibly time to recoat next year. There are other manufacturers that offer top coat as well.
Good point. I'm in Mid-Atlantic, but wiIl inquire on the heat retention. They claim UV stable and will no fade/discolor, but will ask specifically on whether it will sear kids/adult feet bottoms :)

There are so many pics of pool decks with this stuff, i'm still holding out hope that TFP has a few folks with first-hand experience. Will be either the Polyaspartic or the Sundek classic at this point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.