Poly/Filterballs or other alternatives to replace sand in pool filter- thoughts?

Gigama

Apr 26, 2015
Denton Texas
Hello all. I hope all of you are healthy and not going too crazy with everything that is going on in the world. Long story short, I have a Triton 2 Sand Filter. The sand hasn't been changed since we moved in 7 years ago, so it is time for a change. I wanted to get some insight as to the best product to use as a replacement. I understand getting the sand out is a pain, and I am sure my filter has a ton of mud in it as well due to some massive rain issues this year. Does anyone have any thoughts around the Poly/Filter balls as a solution, or perhaps something else that would last for a long time rather than sand? I figured that if I have to spend the $ to get it done, I might as well do it right for the long haul. I am not necessarily against just going with sand, but figured that this board would have a lot of valuable insight.

Thanks in advance for your insight. Have a great pool season

If you don't want sand then I would recommend just replacing the filter with a cartridge or DE system.

Of course, there's no reason at all to change the sand just because X amount of time has passed. That's just a pool store sales tactic. Sand doesn't wear out, the only reason it would need replaced is if there was regular use of clarifier or floc. Since we dissuade the use of such unnecessary products it shouldn't be an issue. The occasional deep clean is recommended to remove things such as mud or other buildup. It's a pretty simple process, the end of this post has the instructions as well as some videos to help demonstrate it: Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter

Thanks for the quick replies. . I have had to use floc extensively due to my house being on a hill and getting excessive run off for years. Pool will turn brown with mud when we get the torrential rains a few times a year, and I have to floc to get it cleaned out. I am sure after 7 years I will need to get it changed out due to this. It is a big headache but even with a drainage system I get hammered with mud every once in a while. In that situation do you feel like a complete change would possibly be in order? It gets pretty bad when the mud hits the pool. I would say there has been extensive use of floc over the years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.