poly caulk recommendation for above tile and below coping

Jordada

May 3, 2020
Northern Kentucky
Hello all. I had my pool renovated nearly two years ago. New surface, new tiles and all new equipment. My pool contractor is here cutting out the grout that is above the tile and below the coping for the 3rd time as it has continuously cracked and fallen out. I have a cantilevered deck so I know this joint between the tile and coping moves. To make matters more complicated, the previous tile was a custom size. This wasn't realized until well after the tilework had begun. Long story short, I have a larger than normal gap between the top of the tile to the coping. Maybe this is why the grout keeps breaking and falling out? I'm not sure. Either way, I have convinced the pool contractor to try poly caulk this time around. He asked if I had read about any recommendations as far as brands/types. Apparently he has never used them for this purpose previously. Surprising considering he has been in business 20+ years. Anyway, I've been searching the forums and can't quite track down what I need. So, does anyone who has used poly caulk for this joint have a recommendation?

Thanks,
Debbie

You can't use grout in an expansion joint. it will just crack from the movement.

You need to use flexible mastic like...

You can't use grout in an expansion joint. it will just crack from the movement.

You need to use flexible mastic like...

Can deckofseal be used on a vertical surface?

He has been doing it wrong for 20 years :)

that is an expansion / perimeter joint and should not have used grout...
Annotation 2021-08-13 133804.jpg
Both these will work perfect for what you need :)

Attachments

• POOL TILE INSTALATION RECOMMENDATIONS.pdf
    809 KB · Views: 29
He has been doing it wrong for 20 years :)

that is an expansion / perimeter joint and should not have used grout...
View attachment 363964

That diagram does not show a proper cantilevered deck expansion joint. The coping/deck cannot make contact with any part of the "concrete tank" or tiling.

The deck must be isolated from the entire pool structure as shown below,,,

Cantilevered_Coping.png

Reactions: cowboycasey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.