Pollen or Mustard Algae?

Oct 23, 2017
Miami, FL
Following this thread with interest as I too have been battling this. It has been windy here for about a week. Could it just be pollen being blown in? I don't know.

About 5 days ago I was at 6 ppm FC. Dumped 5 gallons of Cl into about 11000 gallons. pH was at 7.6. Pump has been on for 4 days circulating. SWG is off. Yesterday I was at 18 ppm FC. NO CC. Vaccing everyday and sometimes 2x a day. Water is clear but this stuff is accumulating at the bottom. Is there a definitive test for MA?

I read that MA likes a higher pH. That may have been my problem as I added some 20 Mule Team and forgot to adjust the pH. I was up to 8.0 prior to bringing it back down and then SLAMing. CYA was around 70.

Pulling my hair out on this one. It's been overcast for a few days now. No bright sun.

Why was this post moved? It was appropriate to the convo in the other thread. Additionally, those that have replied on the other thread, and other members, may find value in it. Doesn't make sense to create another thread for a discussion that is ongoing. SMH

Have you read...

Have you done an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test?

I doubt your pH is a factor. Post a complete set of test results or share PoolMath logs.

Have you read...

Have you done an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test?

I doubt your pH is a factor. Post a complete set of test results or share PoolMath logs.

I learned from a prior post about MA that OCLT doesn't matter. Is that incorrect? My water is otherwise crystal clear.

Here is what I have. Disregard the mango leaf. This is in a few areas of the pool and always shows up in those areas most likely due to the water circulation.

I cannot do a pH test as my FC is too high for an accurate reading. I posted that my pH was 7.6 prior to SLAMing for MA. CYA was 70. TA 80.

20190922_125910.jpg

It's a common misconception that because your water looks clear, it is free of algae. That's not your case. Your water is clear but you have algae in it......TFP doesn't consider that "clean" even even though it may be clear. I am sure that that is a little confusing initially. Can you post a set of current test results?

Not sure if anyone else answered this but your post was moved so YOU would have your own thread and the originator of the other thread could keep that subject on his pool. We like to stay on the originators issues just like we will stay on your issues in this thread........it's easier to follow.

Reactions: CosmicMiami
Current testing:

FC 10
CC 0.5
pH 8.0
TA 100
CYA 60
NaCl 3400

I added 3 cups muriatic just now.

3 days ago I was at 18 FC. 5 days ago I was at 6.5. 5 days ago, I dumped in 5 gallons of chlorine. It was a little excessive but at the time I thought I was battling MA hence the higher Cl levels. Pump ran 24 hours (pump only, no SWG) for 4 days. Just turned on the SWG yesterday.

Vacced/brushed every day. Never saw any visible algae on the walls, just the residue on the bottom. It has been windy here. We have trees around us (although the pool is largely in full sun) so lots of debris both small and large blowing around.

Towards the end of August, we had heavy rains. My salt got low as did my CYA. In fact, my chemistry was all fouled up. I was battling dilution pretty much every day. But I got it squared away. And then this stuff started showing up even though my water was clear and my FC never dropped below 6.5. I like to keep it a little higher.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.