Polaris VRX iQ+

Just bought the VRXIQ to replace the 9550 that I had for years, which my kids broke. Got it at Leslies last weekend with the sale. The 9550 cleaned our 50 ft gunite pool well and the basket is easy to clean. But the cord tangling on the 9550 was a very real problem. The only problem. There was no swiveler on the 9550, and I am hoping that this swivel works. I saw the prior comment and pic showing the tangled swivel cord. That pic was nothing like the tangle I would have on the 9550 after just 1 cycle, so I have some hope. Anyone else with feedback on the Polaris anti tangle swivel cord with any model? Does it help?

Reactions: Fishy1234
I haven't had a problem with the cord tangling. Been using it almost daily for a week now to get the new pool clean. I also ordered the ultra fine basket which is doing a great job picking up the construction dust and paver sand that mad its way into the pool. I don't leave the robot in the pool since I have an autocoder that I close each night.

Reactions: Lubes and Fishy1234
I haven't had a problem with the cord tangling. Been using it almost daily for a week now to get the new pool clean. I also ordered the ultra fine basket which is doing a great job picking up the construction dust and paver sand that mad its way into the pool. I don't leave the robot in the pool since I have an autocoder that I close each night.
Just so you know that as long as the robot has a long enough floating cable you can do as I do which is, I stand the robots control unit at one of the two corners of the pool where the cover closes last and feed in all the cable at the corner prior to closing. Once closed the robot remains working beneath the cover without a hitch.

I bought the Polaris VRX iQ+ about a week and a half ago and really like it so far. I had read about the cord tangling on other Polaris robotic cleaners but so far I've yet to have it tangle at all. I demoed the Dolphin M600 and S300i as well as the Polaris 9650 and the Polaris seemed to perform the best, so I went with the latest model, the VRX. Both Dolphin models had a little bit of dirt seep back into the pool when I removed them and neither one did as well climbing walls as the Polaris. Since they were demo models, who knows how much usage they have had and maybe something explains the performance of the Dolphins models, but ended up going for the Polaris. I have an irregular shaped pool and the Dolphin models would struggle to climb the wall if not approaching it head on. I've observed that the VRX iQ+ will actual adjust as it climbs it's way to make it to the waterline. I also read that people had find dirt/silt pass through the Polaris but I have not experienced that, and I still have the stock filter. Also really like the dual drive system that allows the machine to turn on a dime (similar to the M600). All in all, very happy with the decision.

The ultra fine filter will catch everything, but when it gets loaded up with silt/fine sand the robot has a hard time climbing the walls. I also have no problem with the cord tangling but I follow the suggestions in the manual, and I don’t leave the robot in the pool all the time. Overall I am very happy with this robot as it seems to move about in a more organized manner than other robots, and it actually goes onto and cleans the tanning ledge. I’m sure dolphin makes a good product as well, but I couldn’t find anyone locally that would let me trial one.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The VRXiQ is only sold at Leslie's and is the newest model. Pretty much the same as the 9650iQ best I can tell, other than color. Both have a swivel cord. When I tested the 9650iQ, the cord tangle a little bit, I bought the VRXiQ and have had it about 2 weeks with no tangles at all. For me, it was actually cheaper to get the VRXiQ even though the 9650 is a slightly older model.

Is there a difference between the 9650iQ and the VRXiQ? Does the 9650iQ have a swivel that is supposed to keep the cord from tangling?

VRX IQ is sold only at Leslies. The equivalent model from other stores is the Alpha IQ+. The 9560iq does not have the sensor which allows for the better navigation. I have had the VRX IQ+ for about 3 weeks now, and it does a great job.

Thanks for all the info. I think Leslie's is running a sale mid-June. Hoping they have a good deal on the VRX. My 4 year old P825 has been stopping before completing a full cleaning cycle and I don't want to start putting money in that machine, so will probably upgrade if the P825 stops running altogether. What would you consider a good price for the VRX... $1,500?

Thanks for all the info. I think Leslie's is running a sale mid-June. Hoping they have a good deal on the VRX. My 4 year old P825 has been stopping before completing a full cleaning cycle and I don't want to start putting money in that machine, so will probably upgrade if the P825 stops running altogether. What would you consider a good price for the VRX... $1,500?
So it was 1599. Sale-159 add 111 tax. Total 1550. Rebate hopefully, will be 125 paid as a Visa card.
Also when you do the rebate and registration they have a free cover, and something that measures pool chemistry, or at least I think that's what they ate sending.

Yes.... I think it’s a digital water chemistry analyzer. I asked about it in another post and one of the TFP experts said they’re not all that useful ... recommended sticking with regular testing with a Taylor test kit.

My Polaris VRX-IQ+ experience.
Purchase price 1549 with rebate pending of 125 Visa card.
Assembling the cart took some thinking but I managed. It would help if the pictures were of better quality.
Directions for connecting to bluetooth deem straight forward however. Getting Bluetooth and wifi setup was a challenge. I had to start over about 7 times before it paired with my phone. Then the wifi would not connect until the 3rd attempt.
Once connected I was able to perform all functions with ease from my phone.
The robot is fast moving, climbs walls with ease. Several times it made it up to my swimouts and actually got on top of the cable, and starting brushing the cable. This only went on for a few seconds before robot continued on. We had strong winds the night before so debree was all over the bottom. When the smart cleaning cycle was finished I pressed the lift button and the robot came up the wall for me to grab. I noticed the filter basket had a good amount of debree however still had plenty of room for more. My pool was thoroughly cleaned. The cord although with spirals did not tangle. I am pleased with the overall performance.

Reactions: miles267

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.