Polaris always goes to the same area

Jan 3, 2013
I have a Polaris 200, it goes to one end of the pool and never the other direction. I have rebuilt it and it works better, the backup valve seems to be working. Any ideas why it would behave like that? The booster pump may be part of the problem. It's making noises like there is a bad bearing in there.
Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a Polaris 200, it goes to one end of the pool and never the other direction. I have rebuilt it and it works better, the backup valve seems to be working. Any ideas why it would behave like that? The booster pump may be part of the problem. It's making noises like there is a bad bearing in there.
Thanks in advance for any help.
I believe you may have the model number incorrect I don’t recall Polaris making a 200 model are you meaning the 280?How old is the booster pump? How old is the unit?Have you ever replaced the hose?

I believe you may have the model number incorrect I don’t recall Polaris making a 200 model are you meaning the 280?How old is the booster pump? How old is the unit?Have you ever replaced the hose?
Is this the one you have?Also if you need to change the motor in that booster pump it may be easier to just by a new booster pump and replace the whole unit.

Attachments

• IMG_2115.jpeg
    IMG_2115.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2114.jpeg
    IMG_2114.jpeg
    90.2 KB · Views: 4
Polaris booster pumps can be noisy for a long time and still work fine.

Check the hose that it is not leaking and check the wall fitting for leaks.

Check the wheel RPMs.

I suspect you have a Polaris 280. If so your manual is at https://cdn.fluidrausa.com/-/media/...?rev=591ed7b5808e4ac6ada5f0ebe848b792?force=1

1690817294872-png.518619

I might have the model number wrong, 280 sounds correct. The booster pump is old and makes bearing noise at times and I have never replaced the main hose. Both of those items could be 20 years old.

That’s the current booster pump available PB4-60 they did some cosmetic changes it’s the same pump from 20 years ago.Has your hose become rigid on the sweep?Sometimes hose memory can cause sweeper to gravitate to one section of the pool.
The hose will often stiffen as the water gets colder and the cleaner will not move around as freely.

Reactions: generessler

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Correct and after years of sunlight and chemicals as well,I have seen them last up to 12 years,not the norm though
No idea how old it is but at least 10 or 11 and probably more. It is stiff but just from the cold I think, it seems pliable enough when I manually manipulate it. I could start with replacing that since its cheaper than a pump.

No idea how old it is but at least 10 or 11 and probably more. It is stiff but just from the cold I think, it seems pliable enough when I manually manipulate it. I could start with replacing that since its cheaper than a pump.
It’s probably a combination of both look for any small cracks and darker areas were the chemical exposure may have started to weaken the hose the combination of old and cold usually causes the sweep to act like it is

Counted 26 rpm. Might get to 28 if I emptied the bag but it,s only 1/4 full.
Have you ever refurbished the Polaris 280? The 3 rubber tires can get sticky. The small tension wheel between the 2 main wheels on one side can become worn and not contact the wheels properly to drive the unit.
Internally there is a water propulsion wheel that can be become worn and not turn.

Counted 26 rpm. Might get to 28 if I emptied the bag but it,s only 1/4 full.
The fullness of the bag won't make a difference. You should be counting revolutions while holding the cleaner near the surface with the wheels not contacting anything. If you're counting while it's motoring along the bottom, the count will be low.

Remove the tires and turn them over so the inside edge is now outside. Also, there is a small ridge on the outer edges of the tires. If the tire is worn down to that line, it needs to be replaced. Turning them over will add a bit of life but not much. As the tires wear the Polaris will develop a pattern in the pool (every pool has one that the Polaris will eventually find). That's one reason for the back-up valve. They do need a bit of maintenance once in a while.

The hose gradually stiffens over time. This results in the hose steering the unit instead of following it.
Often, people don't realize how big of a difference until they get a new hose in their hands.
Maybe go to your local pool supply to compare the flexibility of a new hose vs your existing one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.